hf1

Did I overreact?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Did I overreact?

Postby Shaunie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:17 am

Wow, that does sound harsh. My friend takes her boys to a place in Enderby that is apparently relaxed and easy going so if you want any info, give me a shout :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 am

I don't think you were overreacting at all, but so many people seems to have old-fashioned ideas about "teaching" small children, who can't be expected to sit still for concentrate for very long. It doesn't sound as though that particular group is suitable for the age group, it really should be about fun and games, discipline can come much later, or at least in gentler ways. Even some parents I see seem to be very formal in their discipline of a tot in a buggy, just a few weeks ago I witnessed a small girl, not much bigger than Daragh being told to "shut the f*** up" and get a smack, I think just because she was crying in her buggy while the mum was talking to someone else. And that is not an uncommon thing to see, so no wonder groups who try to get younger children involved don't see the need to change their teaching styles to suit.

DD used to go to a dancing class, I never went as it was MIL who took her, but it sounded very formal and she was the youngest child there (just turned 3), and from what I can understand she just wanted to run around and dance how she wanted, pretend to be a ballerina and such, I think she got told off a few times for not doing as she was told and she stopped wanting to go. It was sad because she had been so excited about it before, but far too much was expected of her.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Shaunie wrote:Wow, that does sound harsh. My friend takes her boys to a place in Enderby that is apparently relaxed and easy going so if you want any info, give me a shout :D

yes please! would love to try a new class out...will pm you

My avatar
pebbles08
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby pebbles08 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:38 pm

gosh that is awful behaviour to use towards little ones! I also would not be reattending! I hope you manage to find another group you can attend instead

My avatar
Nimyue
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Nimyue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:35 pm

I agree with everyone else, you didn't overreact. It sounds like the coach just doesn't understand how to work with kids and has his priorities all wrong. Rewarding polite behavior is far and away more important than futilely trying to get a young boy to sit still! Y son only sits still when he's sleeping, and even then he's rolling all over the place :giggle:

Previous

Return to Growing Up