hf1

Fixing a sbov one size

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Fixing a sbov one size

Postby ramsons » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:31 pm

Has anyone ever replaced the leg elastic in a swaddlesbees ov one size?
I got sold it 2nd hand ages ago and forgot who I bought it from but it had been bleached and one of the leg elastics was knackered :x Its made it really long between the legs. I've got a basic sewing machine but I'm wondering if this is going to be too much. I can't quite get my head round how to take it apart and get it back together again. I don't know if its me being a donut or not. :oops:
The only other thing I guess I could do is cut it in the crotch and remove and inch or two and stitch it back together which wouldn't fix the elastic but would mean there wasn't a two inch gap between baby crotch and nappy :roll:
What do you think, or is it dead?

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Fixing a sbov one size

Postby rhead » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:37 pm

I know I've fixed it in Swaddlebees fitteds before (and others), but it was a while ago and I can't remember now if it was an OS or sized, or if it matters... anyway, here's what I did, no sewing machine required!

You should be able to feel the ends of the elastic, a slightly thicker part at the top and bottom of the thigh section. Once you think you have the right spot (or near enough), you should be able to gently pull apart the seam where the inner and outer fabrics meet (easier to spot on a nappy that has a coloured outer and natural inner, but you should be able to find it if yours is all natural too). Unpick the seam so you have about a 1" opening, and find the end of the elastic. Do the same at the other end.

Cut a new piece of elastic (I think about 5" long, I remember measuring against a Bic pen - the length of the pen up to the bottom of the cap), and stick a safety pin through one end. Cut the old elastic at both ends, leaving a short stub (3-4mm), and pull it out, then stitch the non-safety-pinned end of your new elastic securely to the old elastic's stub. Then feed the safety pin through the hole and pull it out the other hole. Stitch the other end of your elastic to the other stub, then close up the holes as tidily as you can. :mrgreen:

You can replace back elastic the same way. If that's not terribly clear just say, it's kind of hard to explain! It's actually pretty easy, and not really noticeable.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Thank you :widesmile: i love you and I love this forum :cnthug: how come everyone knows everything :wink:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

:giggle: Cos we all share the wealth!

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies