Question about two parters/wraps

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Question about two parters/wraps

Postby rachymoo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 am

Hello,

sorry yet another question :oops: So far I have only tried AIOs and pockets as they seemed the easiest to use. I have heard good things about two part nappies though, these are the ones you have to use with a wrap aren't they?

So just wondering, say if you bought a nappy from a particular brand, would you have to use a wrap that's the same brand, or can you use any brand wrap on any nappy, and sort of mix and match?

While I'm on the subject, is a twopart/shaped nappy the same as a fitted nappy or is that something completely different?

Eek, this is all so confusing :-?

Rach x

My avatar
Saskia
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Question about two parters/wraps

Postby Saskia » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 am

Yes to all your questions! You can mix and match nappies with wraps (obviously some work better than others), and as far as I'm aware 2 parter/shaped/fitted nappies are all the same.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:36 am

you could also use fleece or wool longies/shorties over the nappy instead of a wrap

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 am

What are longies/shorties? :oops: Sorry I am soooo new to this...

If I was using fitteds with a wrap, can the same wrap be used all day or do you need to change the wrap each time?

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:59 am

fitteds and wraps are more bomb proof in my opinion :giggle: and yes to all your questions! Wool is a great option too unless like me you are skint all the time and can't afford it!
Oh, longies are trousers made of pure wool and you can use the wrap more than once if it has'nt been soiled

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 am

jan3182001 wrote:you could also use fleece or wool longies/shorties over the nappy instead of a wrap

WSS. I used PUL wraps at first (mainly ME airflow) but then found the lovely yumminess of wool. Once its lanolised its far more bombproof than PUL and it allows the skin to breathe and dampness from the nappy to evaporate - so a far better option imo. Check out http://www.pixieknits.co.uk, http://www.droop-drawers.co.uk for just 2 examples of what can be done with some lovely yarn.

Also woollies are very easy to keep clean and maintain. Just need to soak them overnight in some wool wash (and lanolin when they need it).

longies - are knitted trousers, shorties and a shorter version of longies (think shorts) :D

Fleece is also another good option in the form of flongies (check out http://www.snugglebots.co.uk for some nice examples). Its water repellant so can be used over fitteds - I don't find it as reliable as wool tho as if bubs is sat in one place for too long you can get slight compression wicking. With soakers an addtional layer can be sown in to help with this issue.

Hope this helps :D

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:08 pm

rachymoo wrote:What are longies/shorties? :oops: Sorry I am soooo new to this...

If I was using fitteds with a wrap, can the same wrap be used all day or do you need to change the wrap each time?

I tend to alternate 2 wraps during the day (unless it's dirty) ... take one off & leave it to air and put the other on & then at the next change put the 1st one back on & let the 2nd air.

As for brands etc, so fit really well over 99% of nappies, Motherease & Thirsties for example, whereas others only fit well over their own brand as they are cut in a particular way, for example I found my UD wrap didn't fit over many things as it was very highcut in the leg whereas lots of my nappies weren't.

I used fleece overnight until recently, Tots Bots Fleece wraps, but find now as he is wetting more heavily, but still doesn't move much at night I was getting compression wicking, so have gone back to PUL ... have ordered some pumpkin pants soakers though so hope they will be an improvement as don't like the thought of him in plastic overnight.

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies