hf1

Bamboo with no dryer?

My avatar
Charisse
Clothie
Clothie

Bamboo with no dryer?

Postby Charisse » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm currently using microfibre nappies as I was advised they were best for someone with limited drying space and no dryer. I'm using bambinex teddies. However, I keep reading that bamboo is more absorbent and my girl does get quite soggy. But I just make sure I change her regularly and it's fine

So what I want to know is, how long does bamboo take to dry? Is it at all practical in a small flat with no airing cupboard?

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Bamboo with no dryer?

Postby ImisMummy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 pm

We used bamboo when Imi was tiny and we were in a flat with no airing cupboard and no heating. TBH it does take a while to dry, but it also depends on how many nappies you have spare.

My avatar
Charisse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Charisse » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:26 pm

If it's not sunny enough to hang washing outside I think I'd struggle to find space to hang washing and nappies inside if they were going to take more than a day to dry. I'm just wondering what nappies to get next. I bought my teddies preloved and the aplix on them is pretty gunked up so not sure how long they'll last.

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby busybee » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:43 pm

We live in a small flat with no dryer. We do have a wooden ceiling mounted pulley in the kitchen though, it helps to dry things pretty fast. I found it was best to have a range of nappies in different materials / styles that dry at different times. So we had a load of bamboo squares which were great and dried fast, plus some pockets with microfibre inserts that were also fast drying. And some BV nappies that took a bit longer to dry, but we had the others all ready to go so it wasn't a problem. My friend makes Bamboo nappies that open out flat to dry, these dry faster than most other bamboo ones in our flat. Her website is http://www.nappymakers.com

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:51 pm

I only really use bamboo/bamboo velour nappies (fitteds and pockets) and air dry them. We lived in a flat for a while and had two in cloth, i just had the airer out when i needed them drying because we didn't have a dryer but even now that we're in a much bigger house i alway use the airer. If its nice outside i put them out there or they go in the diningroom if its bad weather. I just have a few extra to allow for drying times.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:17 pm

it's worth getting some for your stash, but unless you're going to have LOTS of nappies then you'd struggle with drying. A mix of quick dry and bamboo would be good, as you'd always have something in case the bamboo takes a while. Maybe grab a few and see how you get on and go from there?

My avatar
Charisse
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Charisse » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone. Any suggestions on types I should look out for. I have a longish baby on the skinny side.

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:45 pm

We use bamboo and never tumble dry. I agree with pp that it may be a good idea to have a couple of each if you're worried about drying times.
Otherwise it's just an excuse to buy MORE nappies so you've got enough to see you over while one batch dries :D

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Dont own a tumble drier anymore and I have very very limited microfibre, almost ALL my nappies contain bamboo, many of them lots of it!
Most of my bamboo inserts/nappies dry within 24 hours even on dodgey days, they dry in a few hours when its warm/sunny and they can go outside and overnight in winter when the heating is on. The only ones that take 2-3 days are my very very thick night nappies (mainly the WCDNNs...arghhhhh)

Next

Return to Fitted or Shaped Cloth Nappies