Money Saving Tips

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Money Saving Tips

Postby littlesez » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I never use this forum because i tend to see lots of threads on sales/bargains. Sorry if i sound like a cow but it is only a bargain if your looking for it. I am a sucker for buying something when its in an offer, then i get home and see that i didnt want 3 of something or sometimes not even 1! I tend to do this in boots! especially with points offers :oops: I actually try and stay away from it now :hohoho:

with the run upto christmas (dont get me started!) :hohoho: I think It might be a really a good idea to share money SAVING tips :D How about a sticky for tips ect? Just an idea

My ideas,

1.SELL everything! :hohoho: declutter, declutter, declutter. You can make so much on a car boot selling any old crap I made £90 last time i only had baby clothes and rubbish cd's. NCT sakes are great because 25% goes to a good cause like nct. Table top sales, ebay, local paper adds.

2. get free stuff! sounds daft but freecycle is amazing you can pick up some amazing things on there. Wanted ads on classifieds here, other forums or local paper.

3.Have a look through all the bills and then see if you can save by swapping suppliers. I did this recently and saved about £40 a month on gas electric phone and internet :shock:

4. dont pay the bank charges! I have managed to get off pretty much all charges by crying! and real tears through pure frustration :( but each time they say ok as a goodwill guesture this once.

5.If you cant afford it dont buy it. My mum taught me this and when i was 18 i got a store card, she cut it up and banned me from shopping :giggle: I hated her at the time but my gosh I am glad now, I will be teaching izzy the same too. I have 2 mortgages (investments rather than debt) and that is it no credit cards, loans, anything.

6.get a terrimundi pot YAY the best and most fun way to save :D I put all my pound coins in and when i smashed it open there was £500 in there :shock:

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/infopag ... i2/HISTORY

thats mine

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Idea for the money matters forum

Postby emmalala » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:05 pm

great Idea sara :D I agree with the "if you can't afford it, don't buy it"
So many mums I know are getting into debt this christmas for the sake of a computer. :( Kids don't NEED things like that, your love, time and patience are much more important.
Saving is good, I have a christmas savings account with my local credit union, can't touch it till the middle of november, saved around £250 and that will pay for a lot.
And :giggle: at you crying on the phone, amazing how that works....

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Idea for the money matters forum

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Another vote here for "if you cant afford it, don't buy it"! I don't own credit/store cards and would not consider using one unless it was absolutely necessary.

Recycled crafts are a great way of having "new" things practically for free. Last night I made 3 hats from 2 old t-shirts and have made skirts out of old clothes for Molly.

Once a week have a meal made from leftovers (freeze even small amounts and you'll soon have enough for a cottage pie type thing!) or just using ingredients in your cupboards (i.e. dont go to the shop to buy anything for it). Cook double amounts of things for freezing or even swapping with a friend or neighbour.

Make your own bread. Supermarket brand bread flour is 50-60p and will make several loaves, and you can vary the recipe loads, or make rolls, breadsticks, pizza bases...etc. Don't buy overpriced cereals, learn to love porridge.

Local butchers often do great value meat packs - as long as you'll use everything in it, plan your meals around it and freeze anything you won't use soon. When making meat dishes, try to use an equal quantity of veg or pulses to meat, so it stretches a bit.

Use your local library lots. Every few weeks you can have a new selection of cookery books, DIY manuals, craft books, gardening books or whatever takes your fancy! Not only do you not have to pay for them (unless you're like me and run up overdue charges everytime :oops: ) but info in them could save you money too.

Make use of charity shops. Most of my local ones are quite rubbish for clothes and bric-a-brac, but cheap furniture and books can often be found. Be wary of shops that tend to overprice stuff (I am sometimes :shock: at what charity shops want for the rubbish they try to sell!) and get to know the local good ones, and when they rotate their stock. remember that even the most outdated wardrobe can look lovely with a lick of paint.

Make your own laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, cloth napkins, use washable wipes/family cloth and reusable anything.

Go through your house and pick up 10 items you never use. Can you sell it? Can you change it into something else that you will use?

Do grocery shopping online. Yes, you may have to pay for delivery, but you'd probably spend far more than £5 on impulse buys if you actually go to the supermarket...

Bake your own treats etc. Its not always cheaper, but helps prevent impulse buys of junk food.

I hate putting the oven on for one tray of chips or something - I try to throw in a batch of cookies (rolls of dough in freezer :wink: ) or a pan of bread or a quickly whipped up cake, just to justify the electric. Otherwise I'll try not to use the oven for just the one thing. Get a slow cooker (seriously, cheapest ones are only a tenner, well spent)

When considering buying something new, put out a wanted add on here or freecycle or somewhere to see if you can get it free or even just cheaper.

Brew your own beer or cider. Its a cheap project with great results and a fun science experiment for your older kids. And even the supermarkets won't give you 40 pints of beer for a tenner. Also good as gifts at celebratory times of year.

Use rolls of wallpaper or lining paper instead of the more expensive kids drawing paper rolls.

Save, save, save! Account for savings in your budget if you can. I agree those tiramundi (sp?) pots are great, or even one of those "can" money tins that have to be opened with a tin opener. Throw all your spare change in there or even just pounds. We saved over £90 soley in copper coins (thats a small heavy box I cannot lift, and hours of counting coins, but it paid the car tax!) A jam jar will hold around £200 in £2 coins.

Don't browse WAHM sites when you have no money :giggle:

I feel like I've rambled on a bit here. Will stop now!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Money Saving Tips

Postby northernruth » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Oh what a good idea. I'm sure I have loads (I am really tight despite the fact that we haven't really been hard up for money for a good few years)

Best one (hard to do thos) is to shop for food every day just for what you need for that day - relies on being disciplined in the shop but DRASTICALLY reduces the amount of stuff you throw away. Similar approach is meal planning.

Also keep your eyes peeled when you pass charity shops, they often have great toys for very little, my Mum got a massive box of lego for £4 including a big plastic box!!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:21 pm

charity shops can be great but like gayle says, they can over price. I got a mamas and papas buggy outside barnardos for £5 :) lasted 2 years and then I gave it away on freecycle

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:25 pm

that's so true emma. what makes me giggle most is when u see primark clothes for more than they are new! have to admit it's been a while since i last went in one.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 pm

I love this thread.

northernruth wrote:Best one (hard to do thos) is to shop for food every day just for what you need for that day - relies on being disciplined in the shop but DRASTICALLY reduces the amount of stuff you throw away. Similar approach is meal planning.

This also depend on where you live. I buy all my meat from the butchers as and when we need it, but if I bought other stuff daily it would cost to much. The shops in our village charge more cause we out of the way. If we travel further afield its cheaper. So for us it is cheaper to do a monthly meal plan and get my shopping monthly.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:05 pm

If I want to save I have a buy nothing week :) ie.. nothing.. ie.. I take no pocket money out of the cashpoint, I don't use my card for anything non housekeeping related LOL

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Don't spend money at all!

I find if I don't go out with cash, then I can't spend it. Dh never takes money (apart from emergency £5ish) to work with him and they all know he has no money so don't ask him for things from the shop.

Don't buy food or drink out at a cafe, always take everything you are going to need for the trip / day and a little more so you are not tempted.

Research loads before you end up spending money so no impulse buys.

Set a budget and stick to it. I will often set myself something like £40 to go shopping and unless something is on special offer which I would normally buy but perhaps not that week I will get it and go over budget and then give myself less.

Save money into a seperate account, if you take it out by standing order on payday you wont notice it's not there but over the next few years it adds up especially if you don't touch it.

We did start to give ourselves 'pocket money' of £10 per month per person to spend on whatever we wanted be it clothes, books etc. But I have reigned that in to less. Wear clothes and shoes until they literally fall apart - when shoes get holes in just save them for dry days (and I'm not joking!)

Next

Return to Money Matters