hf1

Money Saving Tips

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Money Saving Tips

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 pm

I meal plan then raid the shops first thing in the morning and get all the reduced meat etc and either load the freezer or have some money left over :) Asda are great on a monday morning for bread etc thats half price or less and mince etc so I either buy what I had budgeted for or keep the change :)

My avatar
cookielucylou
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cookielucylou » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm

I find buying in bulk saves money. A massive bag of pasta is only a few pounds where you are paying nearly a pound for a small bag. In tesco at the moment they are doing a 1.5kg pack of mince for a fiver which is at least 3 meals between the two of us.
I have read before about replacing half the meat with lentils or something but cant remember where I read it know, anyone know what sort of things you can add?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:31 pm

cookielucylou wrote:I find buying in bulk saves money. A massive bag of pasta is only a few pounds where you are paying nearly a pound for a small bag. In tesco at the moment they are doing a 1.5kg pack of mince for a fiver which is at least 3 meals between the two of us.
I have read before about replacing half the meat with lentils or something but cant remember where I read it know, anyone know what sort of things you can add?

I used to buy the huge bags of pasta in supermarkets, but found that I was really saving only pennies as the price per 100g was almost the same as for the small bags! Perhaps thats changed now though. You need to be careful with bulk and "multibuys", always check the price per 100g or kilo as somtimes the bigger packs are worse value.

Replacing meat depends on what you're making - if I was making spag bol, I grate a few carrots and courgettes in to bulk it up. As you say, lentils would be good too. If theres any leftover spag bol, I add another tin of tomatoes, a tin of mixed beans (or kidney beans or whatever) and some spices to make chilli. There may not be much meat in it by the end, but hey its a meal, don't tell DH :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
ellemonkey
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ellemonkey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Great tips!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 am

A good tip to make meat stretch is to use half fresh mince/half frozen mince. It doesn't save a huge amount but makes it a little cheaper.

I always use the same or more in veg as I do meat as well. And if you're making a shepherds/cottage pie then load it up with potatos and it'll do an extra meal.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 am

I just save a ton by not eating meat at all! its not for everyone but depends how skint you are :hohoho:

I am on a major scrimp atm just bought our dream house and cant sell ours so we now have 3 mortgages :shock: time to save money. We spend too much on 2 things

PETROL we are thinking of gettign rid of the car, eeeek! we share it now instead of having 2 which saved us loads but im a bit worried about gettign inbetween jobs. On of the journeys in 1hour 20 mins and have an hour so not sure how to do it :lol: Working on it. In the mean time we are only using car for essential journeys and im doing little things like taking direct routes (longer) instead of motorway (quick) routes because of how expensive petrol is.

FOOD right thats it! meal planning is the way to go. I have banned hubby from tescos as he overspends drastically :evil: So now we have our weekly veg box and do a meal plan then write a list to top us up, we are saving hundreds literally :shock:

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 am

My husband doesn't think it's a meal without meat in it!

We've saved loads by meal planning, we've cut our weekly Tesco shop to less than £60.

Cars unfortunately won't ever be relinquished in this house, we have 6, know we need to get rid of some but don't know which!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

Asta wrote:My husband doesn't think it's a meal without meat in it!

We've saved loads by meal planning, we've cut our weekly Tesco shop to less than £60.

Cars unfortunately won't ever be relinquished in this house, we have 6, know we need to get rid of some but don't know which!

6 cars??!! :shock:

We meal plan, i dont drive so we only have one car and its on a maintained leese from hubbys work (so apart from the monthly payment we dont pay anything except fuel!). I cook from scratch, bake for snacks. I shop online as im sure that saves me money...our local sainsburys is half hour drive away anyway so i dont mind paying the delivery fee as it would cost me as much to drive there with hubby on the weekend! We have a local tesco but i hate tesco and refuse to shop there!

We recently swapped all our energy suppliers too, so we got good rates and money back through quidco too :wink:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 am

Asta wrote:

6 CARS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PreviousNext

Return to Money Matters