Food bills set to rise.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Food bills set to rise.

Postby doobykat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:14 am

pinksalmon2001 wrote:
tiyuricc wrote:re energy bills - check with your energy supplier to see if they offer meter things. when we switched to npower about 2 months ago, dh filled in something online to get one. it's fab - you set (very roughly) how much you pay for your energy, and it sits there ticking along so you can see how much you're using. it's not very accurate but gives an indication.

we soon realised that one particular light in our house was costing 20p an hour to run, where as normally the whole house would sit on 2p an hour. one night we were searchign the whole house before going to bed because the thing was sat on 25p/h and we couldn't work out what we'd left on, turned off everything we possibly could until we worked out what the problem was. it was also surprising that the washing machine could be on and not affect the hourly rate whereas i thought it'd skyrocket.

it jsut helps you be more aware of what's turned on and do you need it on.

You have just reminded me that we have one of those in the cupboard that Npower sent ages ago :oops: Will go and hunt it out in a minute!

You're not the only one, we've got one too sat in a cupboard that's never been used :oops:
Time to fish it out, me thinks... :|

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am

I would really like one of those energy meters, I'll need to see if edf will give us one.

We're struggling to keep on top of our food bill as well, there's certain things that really bump it up. Like hubby has 2 nutri grain bars for breakfast every day - they're £2 for a box of 6 now! He did admit this week that they actually have a toaster at work so I think I'll put a loaf of bread and tub of butter in the cupboard where the nutri grain bars are.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:24 am

We've just been to the local fruit and veg shop, instead of asda as it's closer. When we moved her it was really expensive but I've just got strawberries, grapes, apples, kiwi's, plums, a yogurt and a couple of large baking potatoes for £5 which is loads cheaper than I thought it would be

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:28 am

I wish there was a green grocers near us!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:31 am

It's fruit and veg that kills us really... I buy 2x strawberries, raspberries, grapes and bananas and that's about £15 in sainsburys!!

Eta the smalls can see that off in a few days and I really don't want to limit fresh fruit...apples and pears just don't go down as well...

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 am

I have always found the greengrocers shop cheaper than the supermarkets. :D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:45 am

Woozle35 wrote:I have always found the greengrocers shop cheaper than the supermarkets. :D

We have one and I always want to shop there as its so much cheaper but the quality is awful :( I always ended il throwing things out because they were already past their best when I opened the containers :(

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby holmes2974 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 am

Trouble is the opening times too - I would love to shop at the local greengrocers, butchers etc, but with working full time plus on call, the only time I can get to the shops is after work, when they're not open :(

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm

The greengrocers in our village is rubbish, like yours Tory and the butchers is expensive. But we are lucky as in the next village (5 mins away) they have a super butchers and greengrocers.

PreviousNext

Return to Money Matters