hf1

Spending more than we earn

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Spending more than we earn

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:11 pm

I have noticed that things are more expensive now too - even though DH and I are pretty comfortably off I'm still tightening my belt a bit before going on maternity leave again. We have a couple of big bills coming up (new clutch etc for his car) which will really make a dent in our savings.

I have lived on very little money in the past though - some of the tips I'd suggest are below:
1. go shopping late at night (or at whatever time your local supermarkt reduces stuff) I picked up a load of fish in Morrisons the other day which had all been reduced - like a £4 rainbow trout for £1.30 :wine: - it's all freezable so a good way to save money.
2. use eco-balls instead of washing powder
3. sell as much as you can on ebay/gumtree/local NCT sale etc
4. buy stuff on ebay or from charity shops rather than new
5. use things like lentils etc in recipes rather than meat, and make a big batch then freeze it so you have cheap ready meals for those nights when you can't be bothered to cook but aren't tempted to get a take-away.
6. switch appliances off standby at night

Check out the moneysaving experts website - loads of good tips and deals on there http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Caroline wrote:
nappynutter wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:it is madness isn't it Caroline, we are spending £17 a week on dinners!

But if they were at home, you'd spend easily as much if not more. :wink:

Yes but I'd be offering much better quality than is offered in North Somerset schools :wink: It's all about quality.

Ah, yes. Schools meals in England are still pretty dire despite Jamie Oliver's efforts. They have always been much better in Scotland, but could still be better. This thread is about about saving money though, not quality. For me, quality wins every time which is why we HE and our kids get organic home cooked fresh food for lunch. :wink:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm

:shock: Ours are £2.50 here for school lunches!

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:38 pm

I just did my budget thingy and it seems to think we should have £252 left over after everything but we dont! Think we need to sort out where its going.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Slightly off topic again but primary school meals are £1.65 here. £1.95 for seconadry schools.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 pm

We had this problem until our car broke down recently and now we don't have the 'luxury' of just jumping in the car and going anywhere we like. It's the best thing thats happened as it's really taught me that children don't need to go out to places everyday and they don't need to be bought things in order to have fun. We walked to our local supermarket and got two large boxes, let the children draw all over them and cut some peep holes - they love them. I found a bag of party balloons in the cupboard so they each have pet balloon they play with each day and we're utilising our garden more so all completely free. The thing I'm most impressed with is we actually have money in the bank at the end of the month. Nipping to the shop just for one item, usually means a small shop, so having no car atm has really opened my eyes to this. When we get our new (to us) car, I'm definately going to use my legs more and walk to places to save petrol - and it'll mean I'm watching what I buy as I can only carry so much. I'm going to plan the shopping better so I don't need to keep nipping out for forgotten items, and will take the children to planned days out (with a packed lunch). I find spur of the moment decisions always cost more and it's the little things that add up that make such a dent in finances.

Previous

Return to Money Matters