hf1

How do you save your money?

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

How do you save your money?

Postby sugarplum » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Sounds simple but i am truly rubbish at it!!
what are the best ways you have found to save money without being tempted to use it for practicle stuff, shopping, those new shoes etc that so and so child needs.........??
I try to save and i always pay the first months money into the savings account with great intentions only to find trhe next month i need that spare money for something or It just gets used for something else!!
Any advice greatly recieved ladies!
:pregnant: :bf:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How do you save your money?

Postby choccylisa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:04 pm

We have an ISA set up that direct debits it out of our bank account the day after dh gets paid, so we never really "miss" the money iykwim. We managed to save up £1k doing it like that to help pay for solicitors fees when we moved :mrgreen: We're doing the same again now.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm

For us we have set up a standing order every week on tax credits day for £10 -£15. That way we don't miss it as much. We can't afford to save loads per month atm.

We need a set goal to save for as well. Saving just cause does not work for us. We save for holidays and xmas.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:49 pm

I have a direct debit that goes to my ISA the day after I get paid. When money is tight (like when I was on maternity leave) I suspended it for a while, but I restarted when I went back to work. I like to have lots of savings though, I dipped into mine hard while on maternity leave so I've been trying to put it back since I've been back at work.

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 am

We put all £5 notes (holiday money), £2 coins (Birthday/Xmas money), 1p/2p/5p/10p/20p (treat money) into a jar...that way we always have something saved up :lookround:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:26 am

vampiredreams wrote:We put all £5 notes (holiday money), £2 coins (Birthday/Xmas money), 1p/2p/5p/10p/20p (treat money) into a jar...that way we always have something saved up :lookround:

Really good idea Vic

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby vampiredreams » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:27 am

monsterm wrote:
vampiredreams wrote:We put all £5 notes (holiday money), £2 coins (Birthday/Xmas money), 1p/2p/5p/10p/20p (treat money) into a jar...that way we always have something saved up :lookround:

Really good idea Vic

I personally hate fiddly 'pish' coins...£2 coins are so flaming huge and £5 notes seem to multiply in my house!

My avatar
sugarplum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sugarplum » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:47 am

vampiredreams wrote:
monsterm wrote:

Really good idea Vic

I personally hate fiddly 'pish' coins...£2 coins are so flaming huge and £5 notes seem to multiply in my house!

wish they would multiply in my house! lol

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:53 am

That's how we pay the boy's pocket money!

We have a standing order from our current account, when dh gets paid, into a savings account. We use it for big things, work on the house and the like and try not to touch it otherwise.

Next

Return to Money Matters