How do you save your money?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: How do you save your money?

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:07 am

Badly.

We should start saving £2 coins again though, last time we ended up with over £300 without even realising it! A we have a copper box too, DH used to throw coppers in the bin :shock: but last time we counted there was about £90 in the box, it's nearly impossible to lift, but it's good to know it's there. The past few months we have just been trying not to spend, but it's never long before a chunk of money is needed to be paid out and it seems to disappear again. I try to save money from birthdays and Christmas in a Credit Union account, and every year we get dividends on the savings, last year it was around £50 which is much better than the interest from my bank account.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: How do you save your money?

Postby tiyuricc » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:35 am

ours just sits in our normal account - it's linked to our offset mortage, so we pay less mortgage interest due to our savings. then we have a big spreadsheet that puts the money into virtual pots - holiday, car, bills, english heritage, birthdays, savings, etc. we save a bit every month so that we can always afford whatever comes up without being short.

then we go about life as normal really., putting just about everything on the credit card, which we pay off in full each month. we don't waste money and have got our spending down to a minimum, so it's very very rare for us to not be able to save the full amount into each 'pot' each month. it's quite nice to see all the different pots grow and know that if the car were to pack up tomorrow we can afford another (as long as we haven't just paid insurance etc as that always wipes the pot out each year and we start building up again).

Previous

Return to Money Matters