hf1

How much do you spend on your weekly shopping?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: How much do you spend on your weekly shopping?

Postby Frances » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:23 pm

zippie-purple-monkey wrote:Well ignoring last weeks disasterous shop (£90 :cry: ) - we do really well.

£25 on abel and cole fruit and veg, then £30 at Tesco. I meal plan, even to the extent of lunches, as to offer the lo's variety but to keep costs down. I try to make as much from scratch as I can - we love hummous and basil pesto, so always try to have a homemade pot of each in the fridge.

I'm hoping by the time we have a 3rd that I'm a pro at budgeting :giggle:

@zippie-purple-monkey
Chelle, could I have your recipe for pesto please? We love it but buy Sacla Organic at £2.50 a jar, the only decent veggie one, as I can't usually make it for cheaper than I can buy it :-?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Frances wrote:
zippie-purple-monkey wrote:Well ignoring last weeks disasterous shop (£90 :cry: ) - we do really well.

£25 on abel and cole fruit and veg, then £30 at Tesco. I meal plan, even to the extent of lunches, as to offer the lo's variety but to keep costs down. I try to make as much from scratch as I can - we love hummous and basil pesto, so always try to have a homemade pot of each in the fridge.

@zippie-purple-monkey
Chelle, could I have your recipe for pesto please? We love it but buy Sacla Organic at £2.50 a jar, the only decent veggie one, as I can't usually make it for cheaper than I can buy it :-?

ditto, I actually find that with alot of things. However I do appreciate it is never as nice as homemade.
Last edited by KimmyM on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:52 pm

Frances wrote:

@zippie-purple-monkey

^this, and the humous, I love home made humous but I find it costs a lot more to make than to buy.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi Ladies,

Only just had the chance to get online today.

The pesto is vegan as I don't eat dairy - its delicious.
OK so here are the recipes;

Humous;

300g chickpeas
1 tablespoon tahini
1 tablespoon olive oil (I use evtra virgin)
lemon juice to taste (I use a full lemon)
water (depends on consistency desired - start with one tablespoon, then add accordingly)
2 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon soy sauce - optional

Basil Pesto;

1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh basil
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil (you may need to add more)
lemon juice to taste (I find 3 tablespoons is good)
2-3 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method of both is simply blitz until desired consistency is achieved!! Enjoy!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm

£25 per fortnight on the vegbox then about £10 per week on fish for us and meat for rob, then about another £15 on top up bits so £40 a week MAX

My avatar
Vanilla
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Vanilla » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm

We spend about max £50 per week for 2 adults & 1 child, but it's usually less - I aim to keep it under £40 for everything, ie cleaning stuff, toilet rolls etc as well as food. We buy organic milk & cheese. Usually at least half our weekly fruit & veg is organic too. We are a mainly vegetarian household though, so save a lot of money by not buying meat, but have the odd bit of fresh fish.

I think meal planning is the key. It's also good to go through all your cupboards, fridge & freezer once in a while and see how many meals you can make out of stuff you already have - it's often suprising how much you have even though you're thinking there's no food in the house, simply must go and do a massive shop right now!

Another thing I do is make my own bread most of the time, it works out cheaper than buying even the cheapest supermarket loaves. And nicer! I never buy things like hummous ready made either, it's waaay cheaper to make your own. I rarely buy anything branded, in fact only if it's on special offer and therefore better value than the cheaper brand! Brand loyalty doesn't pay!

Fruit and veg in the big 4 uk supermarkets is very overpriced. I buy it at local markets/organic shop and Aldi.

A work colleague kept complaining about the cost of her food, she did a weekly shop in tesco & spent a fortune. She wanted to know how I got mine so low, so I advised her to try shopping in Aldi instead of Tesco, not buy loads of branded stuff & crisps/biscuits, don't eat meat every single day etc. She tried one shop in aldi and said she didn't like it cos they didn't have all her usual brands, she didn't want to cut down on meat or buy tesco own brand crisps instead of walkers ''cos the kids won't eat the cheaper crisps'', so she carried on spending loads and moaning about it!!

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm

About £100 a week for 7 of us (me, oh, 16yr old, 14yr old, 12yr old, 9yr old & lil Dot) a dog & a cat, that includes everything - not just food but cleaning stuff etc too.

Previous

Return to Money Matters