hf1

Cost of shoes for toddler! money saving idea

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Cost of shoes for toddler! money saving idea

Postby jclmellor » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm

any mamas ever worked in a shoe shop?!?!?!
DD took her first steps today (almost one year old) and so i'd better start thinking about getting her some shoes. i saw in Clarks that the cheapest pair are £22 and toddlers are only in them for 3 months (max) before they're outgrown! i can't afford that :( :( :( :doh: :doh: :doh:
do you think it would be really cheeky of me to get DD measured at Clarks, take a note of the size of her feet, and then find some second hand shoes (in the correct size) from ebay? :lol: :lol: :lol:

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Cost of shoes for toddler! money saving idea

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Check out the clarks website as they have bargain reductions - so get you lo measured in store, then go to the website and get them sent to your local store for fitting. Thats what I do, as I cant afford full expense on shoes - and I feel getting lo's feet measured properly is really important. :hug:

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:48 pm

we have a clarks outlet not that far away from us and the shoes are normally about £10 cheaper although they have sometimes been as cheap as £5 a pair, and not every child grows out of shoes that fast pippa has only gone up one shoe size since xmas last year, we have to replace her shoes when she wears them out rather than her growing out of them :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:51 pm

The trouble is that different styles of shoe fit differently - it's not just about getting them measured correctly, they have to fit correctly too...
Also Clarkes aren't the best for their feet either - startrites are better...

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:54 pm

I had ds feet measured before and then got some great second hand clark ones from ebay in his size

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:56 pm

I asked about 2nd hand shoes in Clarks the other day (because we now have 2 girls) and they said it would be fine to use 2nd hand shoes. If we go into the shop with L and her older sisters old shoes, they will even check they fit (because sometimes worn shoes can stretch). :thumbsup:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:03 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:The trouble is that different styles of shoe fit differently - it's not just about getting them measured correctly, they have to fit correctly too...
Also Clarkes aren't the best for their feet either - startrites are better...

@Velvetsteph why are startrite better than clarks? India has startrite winter boots now but has always had clarks in the past. The startrite quality doesn't seem as good to me :-?

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby busybee » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:05 pm

I don't really like Clarks for measuring. When looking for my DDs first shoes we went to Clarks and they only had one shoe in her size (pink, obviously :roll: ) and the lady said it fitted but she didn't take much time over it and I wasn't sure it was a good fit. A friend recommended an independent shoe shop who sold startrite and I was much happier with the service, the fitting and the shoes (which weren't pink). But yes, to answer your original question, I have had her feet measured and then bought offers online, or 2nd hand. I didn't start doing it till she was a bit older though, as I thought she would be able to tell me if the shoes are uncomfortable :D It's a total shock, isn't it, when you first realise how much those tiny little shoes cost!

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:15 pm

jclmellor wrote:any mamas ever worked in a shoe shop?!?!?!
DD took her first steps today (almost one year old) and so i'd better start thinking about getting her some shoes. i saw in Clarks that the cheapest pair are £22 and toddlers are only in them for 3 months (max) before they're outgrown! i can't afford that :( :( :( :doh: :doh: :doh:
do you think it would be really cheeky of me to get DD measured at Clarks, take a note of the size of her feet, and then find some second hand shoes (in the correct size) from ebay? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does she really need shoes now..... Is she going to be walking outside? If not I wouldn't bother with shoes until she is really steady on her feet or walking about outside. She doesn't need shoes for inside and you can save the money you would spend now. Then put it towards getting a really good fitting pair when she need's them. :hug:

Next

Return to Money Matters