hf1

How much food do you throw away.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

How much food do you throw away.

Postby tracedw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Ok, just had the weekly shop arrive and so had to make some space in the fridge and had a little clear out.
The spend was £150 which does sound a lot but the 2 older boys have pretty much adult appetites .
Any way i threw out
A small pepperoni pizza
2 pots of Muller rice (3wks out of date) :oops:
2 tiny pots of fromage frais (2 wks out)

Compost heap got
A small pack of baby sweetcorn
1/2 butternut squash
Unopened pack of asparagus tips :oops:
Small bag of fresh coriander (never got around to making that stir fry)

I dont think its that much compared to a few years ago when we all had a bit more money and i didnt really think twice about what i was ordering/buying and not meal planning.
How much do you throw away each week?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How much food do you throw away.

Postby Caroline » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Our waste tends to be half eaten things that haven't been finished for whatever reason. Hummous, cous cous salad are culprits here as it's only me that eats them.

One thing I have started doing to reduce the waste is to meal plan for 5 or 6 nights instead of 7. That way you have to use up what's in.

I'm really trying to reduce our waste atm, as well as eating a more sustainable diet with less meat. I'm not sure how it's going as tonight is crispy duck (home made) to celebrate Chinese new year on Monday. :-?

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ImisMummy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:49 pm

We dont have any unopened food to throw away. We normally fil our little food waste bin twice, imagine two nappy sacks, with left over from meals which is normally Imogen not eating it all.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 pm

I try not to throw out anything at all. Occasionally something falls through the cracks though. I meal plan for 7 days & we use the leftovers for lunch. If we weren't home during the day, I would meal plan for 6 days & then have leftovers for dinner one of the nights. I freeze leftovers if I don't think they will be used in a couple of days. When I'm dishing up dinner, I put small portions on the plate. If you want more, there is more but if you're not that hungry, there is none wasted. For things like yoghurt, I buy one big pot, normally strawberry as that is one that everyone will eat.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:21 pm

More thank I'd like to admit probably.
This week I have thrown away half a bag of potatoes (they started sprout before I finished cooking them all to freeze I dud use some for painting though) 2 tomatoes, 1 frube, 1/4tin of Tom soup and 1/2 tub of HM humous.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm

We used to throw out quite a bit but never unopened stuff, it would be half eaten salad or pots of something like Caroline.

Now i'm very aware of our food budget and shopping very little gets thrown out, in fact, the only thing i threw out last week were the last few spuds in a bag that had started sprouting.

Things like the pizza you could have frozen. Yogs are different and i have thrown a few out like that a while ago but now i make sure to offer them to Scarlett or tell DH to eat them up as its really daft to pay for something and not eat it.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Very little. Of the 10-ish bags of shopping delivered I would say 1 is frozen food, 2-3 are dried goods or cleaning items/toiletries and the rest fresh stuff for the fridge. We all but empty that over a week. I can't think of anything we've thrown for a long time, perhaps half a packet of broccoli or green beans will make it to the compost heap, but only if they're past using for soup, so not very often.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Rox wrote:Now i'm very aware of our food budget and shopping very little gets thrown out, in fact, the only thing i threw out last week were the last few spuds in a bag that had started sprouting.

Things like the pizza you could have frozen. Yogs are different and i have thrown a few out like that a while ago but now i make sure to offer them to Scarlett or tell DH to eat them up as its really daft to pay for something and not eat it.

The pizza was 5 days out of date so not really much i could do about that otherwise it would have been eaten and i always use potatoes that have started to sprout as long as the sprouts aren't big iysyim or if the spud has gone soft.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 pm

tracedw wrote:The pizza was 5 days out of date so not really much i could do about that otherwise it would have been eaten and i always use potatoes that have started to sprout as long as the sprouts aren't big iysyim or if the spud has gone soft.

Me too, but they were *really* sprouting, left over from before Christmas LOL.

Next

Return to Money Matters