hf1

How much food do you throw away.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: How much food do you throw away.

Postby anothersquish » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Only me whod eat a pizza 5 days past the "use by" date from the shop then ??!! LOL

I dont remember when I last threw food away, anything thats not eaten goes on the compost heap as do cuttings/trimmings etc.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:28 pm

The only thing that gets thrown away here are the scrapings off meals and they go in the compost bin. I meal plan so only buy exactly what I need. Saves an absolute fortune!

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Unfortunately because it's just me and Alesha we throw
Away far too much food , this is mainly because some things you can only buy in big packs so we don't get chance to eat it all, also because I have a tiny tiny freezer I have a 5ft fridge freezer and about the top third is freezer space :( so I haven't got room to do proper big shops at the supermarket as I can't store it

Ok it probs doesn't help I don't Neal plan either but again this is hard without a decent freezer I have tried x

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Too much :-( DH is really fussy and won't eat leftovers or stuff from the freezer so we often end up throwing away the remains of meals or half used bags of ingredients (when a recipe specifies eg 2 stalks of celery). It drives me nuts that things come in such big pack sizes from the supermarket, but we don't have much choice. Where we are both at work all week we can't get to the grocer etc to buy just what we need. We threw away less when I was on maternity leave as I would eat the leftovers for lunch but not everything is suitable to take to work.

My avatar
piXie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby piXie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:49 pm

anothersquish wrote:Only me whod eat a pizza 5 days past the "use by" date from the shop then ??!! LOL

I dont remember when I last threw food away, anything thats not eaten goes on the compost heap as do cuttings/trimmings etc.

nope, I would too. If it looks fine and smells fine then it's being eaten!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 pm

After our shop this week (which is when I clean out the fridge from the week before), I've thrown out the dregs of sour cream - leftover from stroganoff - and a portion of homemade broccoli and pea soup, which DH was meant to take to work for lunch one day and kept forgetting. The sour cream was meant to go in the soup. So it's all DH's fault, really. :lookround: :giggle:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:51 am

When MIL cooks it about 2 full size meals but when i cook it's what ryan doesn't eat

out of the fridge not much some time some veg thats go off of some ham or meat we have forgoten that been push to the back of the fridge.

Previous

Return to Money Matters