hf1

Card limits?

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Card limits?

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:25 am

We need to go out either today or tomorrow to pick up our new car :yahoo: (the exhaust fell of ours, OH had to get towed home after work last night :giggle: bet you thought I was joking last night Esther) Does anyone know if we can put it straight on the debit card? It's a little over £6500 and I have never put that sort of money on my card but it seems the easiest way to do it without messing around. Don't suppose anyone knows if I need to ring and clear it with the bank or we can just do it?
Thanks

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Card limits?

Postby CherryPie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:28 am

I work for a bank and we tell people to call debit card services (should be on the back of your card) and just let them know so they don't think it's fraud. :thumbsup:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 am

CherryPie wrote:I work for a bank and we tell people to call debit card services (should be on the back of your card) and just let them know so they don't think it's fraud. :thumbsup:

Yes I would do this as well, you card company would likely call you anyway just to check x

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:06 am

CherryPie wrote:I work for a bank and we tell people to call debit card services (should be on the back of your card) and just let them know so they don't think it's fraud. :thumbsup:

WSS exactly :)

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 am

They'll most likely call you anyway, even if you do call them beforehand :roll:
When we bought our new car, we paid for it with card & even though we'd called before hand to let the bank know, when we came to payment, the car dealer still had to ring through for us as it wasn't automatically authorised.
With those sums of money, I guess they'll want to be covering their backs & I was quite happy they double checked too - saved me the hassle of trying to claim the money back, had it been a fraudulent transaction.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:34 am

You don't need to call them yourself. The people who you are paying will do that and will pass the phone to you to answer some security questions (We had the same when we bought our new car and I made a £10000 debit card payment.)

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 am

They will only call if they need an authorisation number therefore meaning the bank hasn't automatically authorised te transaction.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 am

KimmyM wrote:They will only call if they need an authorisation number therefore meaning the bank hasn't automatically authorised te transaction.

That wasn't true in my case, the dealer automatically called the bank before even trying to make the payment. I think they are supposed to do that when large sums of money are involved.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:06 am

Cheers everyone, I won't bother calling ahead, i'll just pay it and see what happens :)

Next

Return to Money Matters