hf1

Hmm. too many bears.

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Hmm. too many bears.

Postby katherineeah1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm currently sitting (a little bit bored I have to say) with 10 minutes before I need to start cooking tea. I feel like I'm not doing enough with/for V, and I'm starting to think part of the reason is because we really don't have enough "stuff" for her to do. She's not a particularly destructive or irritable child, I just think she needs more stimulation. I'm getting very sick of saying "I think she needs more educational toys" and coming home to find MIL has bought more teddies. So half of the teddies are being consigned to the toy box, the other half will probably go mysteriously missing, and here's what I'm thinking about getting instead:

1.lots more crayons, colouring books and paper
2. some paints for messy play
3. LOTS of plastic sheets and aprons for said paint and all the other messy things we have :D
5. lots of cardboard boxes to decorate and then use as storage for ^^ all this. :giggle:
4. some wooden blocks... maybe these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1203

but not sure as those are a tad pricey. Think I might go to the boot fair first...

and these...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2496wt_952

because she already knows the letter Z so I think she'll enjoy these.

5. an etchasketch type thing... I think mum and dad have one- might not bother if I can't find it but I'm sure she'd like that
6. lots of pictures of animals then printing them off, laminating them and turning them into flashcard things? She likes animals. I was going to do letters but she got a poster with lots of letters on it.

As usual I'm looking for a bit of validation :roll: and just wondering if there's anything else your little ones love that doesn't cost the earth and is vaguely "educational". I was thinking about getting her some "kitchen" things, like a pretend washing machine (as she's much too interested in shutting the door on the real one) but I'm not completely sure whether it would be worth the money yet...?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Hmm. too many bears.

Postby KimmyM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 pm

We have a plastic tea set DS love making mummy tea. Imagination, role play ect.
Play dough is easy to make and is cloud dough and we call it ooze but cornflour and water. Puzzles?

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Penny loves her kitchen. The sticky letters on the bath are fun and we often end up counting the plastic duck bath toys. Books with shapes/colours etc and sticky foam shapes are always good value too hth :)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Urgh I hate hate hate cuddly toys, I think a special couple is more than enough.
G loves her stickers, pencils, wooden blocks, peppa pigs and kitchen x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:45 pm

I know what you mean about cuddly things!
How old is your LO?

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:06 pm

I feel the same as Kirsty about cuddly toys - a special few is definitely more than enough!

One thing I'd say is try to think of things that you think you would enjoy too - the fact is that it's going to be you (probably) that's going to be playing with her, so it's no use you trying to do something that you find a chore. I've made that mistake - I hate painting and all the faff that goes with it, it's always a pain to set up and then a chore to tidy up after, as they never do it for more than five or ten minutes, so it's just not worth it (in my eyes). I ued to try to do it regularly, but have stopped now as I just got so frustrated with it! Now we do things like lego or train track building, and we're much happier. :D

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Chalks are fab, sugar paper, penny loves gluing stuff, especially bits of tissue paper and we did some flowers from paper plates which was fun.
Ikea has good wooden blocks and a truck too. The play food is nice too.
How about a cheap bucket of animals.
Another fun one is sorting the scraps of fabric in my project bag :)

My avatar
katherineeah1
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby katherineeah1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:31 pm

@aimeet that's quite sneaky!

I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one that has a cuddly toy issue!

V's 16 months. She's got a play kitchen in the lounge that doubles up as a child barrier to the telly :wink: and we go to the library a lot so she always has different books every few weeks...
She seems to enjoy crafty things- painting and drawing with crayons at her toddler groups. I think she's really outgrown the cuddly stage as she's got a couple of teddies, a dog and twin cats that she loves. But she ignores the rest and just walks over them to get to her other toys haha!

aimeet wrote:Ikea has good wooden blocks and a truck too. The play food is nice too.
How about a cheap bucket of animals.

I think play food might go well with her kitchen, but it might be something she grows into as she does try and eat the wooden apples at the children's centre! :giggle: What sort of animals are they? Same to a tea set, but it might be a nice christmas present for her...

@KimmyM what's cloud dough?

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:06 pm

http://www.pocketfulofposiesblog.com/20 ... gh-recipe/
It basically the opposite of ooze it turns from a solid to a powder easily. Great fun and very cheap.

Next

Return to Activities and things to do with your children