hf1

Rainy half term

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Rainy half term

Postby ems101 » Mon May 30, 2016 2:31 pm

So it's half term and of course it's going to be a washout.

I thought we could share our ideas for rainy day activities!

Swimming is out for us because none of ours can swim so I can't take three on my own.

Soft play, cinema.

I've bought some air dry clay and clay tools for a slightly more grown up playdoh session.

Junk modeling - messy and need to save your recycling for a week in advance but really creative and good fun.

Scrap booking - pick up a few free mags/catalogues and make a collage

That's about where I'm at. Jens quite easy to entertain but the boys so love and need to run around its much harder to keep them occupied inside

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Rainy half term

Postby confusinglady » Mon May 30, 2016 7:34 pm

I think I m lucky with the age of mine at the moment as they seem to find plenty of imaginary games to play when indoors and have been playing nicely today ( not always been the case at all! Tomorrow they'll probably be trying to attack each other!)

Indoor ideas up my sleeve:

Lego always goes down well

Setting up a shop or a post office - the more active kids can pick up the letters from certain places etc

Setting up a mini assault course in the lounge/ hallway - dressing gown cord laid out on floor to balance along, cushions to jump over, toys to pick up at a certain point, step to climb over. Can be done as a relay to encourage team work ;) cheer the others on.
Can also do this with a digger or something- moving lego from one area to another 'construction site'

Indoor skittles

Crawling races carrying your toy on your back. Or relay again pass the toy to the next person.

Today they wanted to do craft and I had all of the stages of an egg carton boat prepped as it had been an option at dd2 s b day party but not all wanted to do it. So they got that out themselves and dd1 made a crab and the other two made an angry bird ( apparently!)
They had fun :thumbsup:

I tend to have a restricted craft pile of colours, glue different coloured card/ paper and some stickers, then something's like toilet rolls and bits of cardboard boxes. They seem to be able to make what they want out of that.

If I think of any more I ll be back.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon May 30, 2016 7:36 pm

Oh just thought, some music on and a bit of a boogie wears them out for a bit and also makes me happy - win win!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:12 am

Rémy likes pompom and pipe cleaner activities, poking the sticks into a colander, stick up a vertical pom pom run with kitchen paper / toilet roll inners etc and a bowl underneath (not for the olders but might be good for little man @ems101)

I'm enjoying reading all your ideas too.

We lived in an old Victorian (single story) farmhouse when I was growing up that had a huge long hall runner and my step brother and I used to put things under it to make lumps and play putt putt - could be fun under a rug if you have garden golf set? Half our fun was making the course and we did it even as teenagers!

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:29 am

My brother and I used to live in blanket forts on the sofa/arm chairs on rainy holidays.
I'm in awe of my mother for holding it together as we rearranged the furniture/climbed and walked all over it :gosh:
jacob makes dens in his bunk bed. Or did until quite recently; obviously he's too cool and manly for that kind of thing these days... :giggle

(When his friends are watching at least. I catch him and Percy hanging out and hiding in the bunk-fort quite frequently ;)

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 am

I took mine for a puddle walk yesterday ... although that was partly because they came back all sugar hyped up from a treat with the in laws!!!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Clay worked really well. We made a fort/den yesterday too.

Ours aren't cooperating very well at the moment. So it always end in fights. Doesn't help that we have such little rooms. Splashy walk was our saviour followed by Netflix! Cake making tomorrow and painting clay things.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Sounds like my 10 and 15 yo's too @ems101 - get used to it!!!

I hope all kids and mummies are in one piece and sounds like everyone needs Wellington boots for sanity reasons! I ended up taking Rémy out to the garden this evening for 1/2 hour even if it was a bit soggy for both our sanity!

Return to Activities and things to do with your children