hf1

Experiences of being a childminder?!?!?

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Experiences of being a childminder?!?!?

Postby jclmellor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:04 pm

does anyone work as a childminder? advice needed please!!!!!!!!!

i'm thinking of training to become a childminder because my DD is 13 months and i'm expecting another baby in june. the childcare course is free and quite easy to complete (though time consuming...) and would be useful in case hubby is made redundant.

but i'm not sure about becoming a childminder... how on earth could i cope with two of my own kiddies plus minded children (!!!) - i'm shattered with just one baby atm! also, i've got no experience of older children, i find it daunting to be "watched" or scrutinised, as childminders are (e.g. by other mums at toddler groups) and our house is very small. being a childminder i might make about £100 a week after tax but i'm not sure whether this is worth all the stress/extra work and having the house wrecked. i'm also really sad that i would have to leave my career as i really love my job but atm there are no jobs in my field in the local area.

thanks

:-? :-? :-?

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Experiences of being a childminder?!?!?

Postby zoeyboo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 pm

My old childminder had a DD of 2 and then looked after a little girl aged 18 months 5 days a week & then Rufus 2 days so they were all a similar age & fitted into the sorts of activities she wanted to do with her DD. You don't have to have lots, or older ones you can set down how many spaces you offer & to what ages.
That said after school ones can be easier to look after & age 7-8+ cn be the hardest to find care for.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Experiences of being a childminder?!?!?

Postby chocmuffin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:14 pm

:wave: I'm a childminder :lol:

There is lots of info & lovely ppl on here-
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/

I enjoy my job (most of the time) but have worked in childcare all my life so it was just natural to me to childmind when I brought my 1st house, this was 4yrs before I had Cara!

It is great for me in that I get to spend time with my 2 whilst working, but on the other hand I have still had the quilt trip that my kids have to share me! I then tell myself that if I didn't do this job they would have to spend all day in someone elses care or we wouldn't have our house!

There are good days & bad days! Its great when all goes to plan and you get all activities/outings for the day done with ease! Its not so great when you have a child who is ill (but not ill enough to send home or is your own), teething, a stroppy/tired school child or own kids are desperate for attention and you are trying to cook dinner, go on the school run or even change a nappy! As with having your own kids there are good & difficult times! However I do tend to find that other ppls children are much better behaved than your own :roll: , so its not usually mindees who are being a pain!

I sound like its all bad don't I! Its not the kids I have are great, I love them and you get to build a great realationship with them, as do your own children! You get to see them develope and grow, knowing you have contributed to the outcome! :D

As for managing a larger number of children it just happens really! You plan for the different ages you have and think about logistics of getting to/from the car, walking, seating at the table, who sleeps where & it soon all falls into a nice routine! I tend to find having more children around doesn't always mean more work, they have more children to play with and are more likely to be able to play occupy themselves whilst you are busy doing something. I have an older school age mindee who plays lovely with my 2 so it doesn't really matter what age they are either.

My house doesn't get wrecked it just looks a mess with all the toys :giggle:

I earn about £200 a wk working 4 days, its not alot but my 2 are taking up 2 full time pre sch places! It would cost me £400 a wk to put them in nursery if I worked else where so when you consider that its not bad really!

I would consider more to the start up costs than just the course! I'm not sure what you will get help with as its different in all areas so you would have to contact your local childrens information service. You will need a 1st aid course, insurance, ofsted registration, ncma registration (not compulsery but advised) and lots of equipment- stationary (diarys, registers, accounts books etc)toys, highchairs, car seats,pushchairs, travel cots, 1st aid boxes, fire blankets, stair gates, the list is endless!

Here are some pics of my setting- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sharon-Ch ... 9499959688

Feel free to PM me with any questions :D

Return to Activities and things to do with your children