hf1

Educational PC links/games for a three year old?

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Educational PC links/games for a three year old?

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 am

Hey all,

Ethan loves a little Elmo CD we got him for the PC, and lately has really gotten into it. I'm pleased, because I'd rather him use a PC than watch TV as at least it's interactive and he's learning, but he's mastered this very quickly! I've picked up a Postman Pat CD, but it's a little above him at the moment, so am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for something he might like?

Sarah

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Educational PC links/games for a three year old?

Postby justme123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:26 am

Poisson Rouge - its brilliant! Loads of games and activities etc for little ones, most with some educational content. Mine loved it.

Eta I can't link as I'm on my phone but it's completely free and online. Just google it :-)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 am

cebeebies games! My 2yr old loves it!

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am

try reading eggs

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Another vote for poussin rouge here, we also use babyfirsttv - we subscribed for a year but tbh I think you get lots free on the site? Ds has been loving the games since he was about 6 months and sitting up. Nice little videos, too, he totally loves rainbow horse!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:39 pm

LilMrsAverage wrote:try reading eggs

@LilMrsAverage

Have you got the paid subscription for this? I think we will do the free trial and see how it goes before coughing up the subscription money.

We really like starfall.com. India has used it every day this half term to brush up on her reading and can now read some of the short stories for herself. :D

ETA: Red fish has (poussin rouge) has a great iPad app which my kids love.

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby LilMrsAverage » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Caroline wrote:

@LilMrsAverage

Have you got the paid subscription for this? I think we will do the free trial and see how it goes before coughing up the subscription money.

We really like starfall.com. India has used it every day this half term to brush up on her reading and can now read some of the short stories for herself. :D

*cough

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a3 ... 90082&pd=1

( Am I allowed to post a link to another forum ? if not I apologise....)

@Caroline

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 pm

My lot loved Reader Rabbit and associated PC games when they were younger.
ETA and Thomas the Tank Engine and other themed games available on CD rom.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Caroline wrote:

@LilMrsAverage

@Caroline

We have a paid subscription to Reading Eggs - Iris thinks it's absolutely the cat's pyjamas. Mind, she's not allowed to watch TV or play games on our phones/laptops, so this is the only tech thing she does. The lessons are challenging, without being too complex. They're logical and completely phonics based. It means that she's able to progress very quickly and build on what she's learnt. She can already read simple sentences - 'The man can see the cat' kinda thing - by herself. I think it's definitely been worth the money. It's set-up in game format, so Iris just thinks she's playing, rather than being taught something. The only thing to remember is it's Flash based, so doesn't work on iPads. I'd definitely recommend it. :)

Next

Return to Activities and things to do with your children