hf1

Surviving the beach in winter?!?!?

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Surviving the beach in winter?!?!?

Postby jclmellor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:09 pm

we live very near to the beach and have started taking DD (14 months) at the weekends. but i'm soooo shocked at all the mess that a trip to the beach creates!!! i'm finding sand everywhere in the house (even on my toothbrush!) and i hate the stuff! obviously no swimming (brrr!) and just playing in the sand and paddling (might buy bucket and spade lol!) but i was wondering what other mums do on the beach when it's quite cold?!?!? all in one suit over normal clothes, taking off shoes and socks? using the showers at the beach and bringing a change of clothes rather than trying to put a sandy baby in the buggy or sling?!?!? any advice appreciated!!! :giggle:

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Surviving the beach in winter?!?!?

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

We try and use the beach here all year round. In the winter we take picnics and hot chocolate and make sandcastles, draw pictures, treasure hunt etc. Its a bit better weather here but still chilly in the winter (well for the med anyway :hohoho: ) I always take a change of clothes and a towel and a big fleece blanket for siting on. Sand does get everywhere but I think I'm just immune to it now as the boys have 3 months summer hols and we spend everyday on the beach :roll: I would get her a sand/water wheel and a sand sieve, watering can and a bucket and spade, this is all we take in the winter and it keeps my 2 occupied for an hour or two :hug:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:29 pm

I would use a plasticy all in one over normal clothes, then strip that off with shoes and hose the lot down before it gets in the car. I love the beach but hate the sand so I try and get rid of it all before we get home. also if you have a plastic bucket in your car you can dump all the sandy stuff in there so it doesnt spread in the car.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I love the beach in winter. We go to pebbly beaches with rockpools in winter and DD wears wellies and waterproof trousers. We take a bucket etc and look in rockpools/throw stones into the sea etc.

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

We love the beach all year round - although mostly pebble beaches around here. Normally we put B in wellies, and take a spare set of clothes wherever we go *just in case*. Always change back to shoes once in the. The Big Reuseable bags come in handy for putting dirty stuff in (sandy or otherwise), no annoying little holes in the bottom for sand/mud etc to escape through. And definately get a bucket and spade!! so much fun at the beach :D

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:22 am

We go to the beach most days winter and summer to walk the dog! in the winter Tyler wears normal clothes, extra jumper and fleece lined dungarees and coat with wellies. We keep a dustpan and brush in the car to brush off shoes and I strip off Tylers shoes, coat and dungarees before we get back in the car and shake any visable sand off him! Toy wise he is generally happy with a couple of buckets and spades and we have a huge collection of ones that have been left behind by others!

Return to Activities and things to do with your children