hf1

Kindle or other ereader?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Kindle or other ereader?

Postby Twinkletoes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I'm just fantasy shopping just now, as def have no funds for one, but I am remembering how awkward it was to read a book by moonlight with one hand when breastfeeding, and thinking longingly of a tech solution.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of an ereader that isn't the kindle? There's lots of good reviews of the kindle, but equally, there's lots of commentary about how you're tied into buying from amazon, and can't buy ebooks from other sources.

Plus, the books seem really expensive? I buy most of my books these days from the charity shop cos I read so fast, so don't want to be limited to only being able to treat myself to a book a month!

Would be interested in opinions from anybody with experience of either option.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Kindle or other ereader?

Postby Mareth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I have a kindle and love it. There are a few sites listed on Amazon that you can get books from, legally and easily. If you download a program called calibre you can buy/get books from any source though, as you can convert them on your computer then upload to the kindle.

I've never bought a book for over about 3gbp so far, in over a year. They can be quite expensive (there's a Stephen King one I want but refuse to pay 9.99 for the digital version when even the hardback version in only about 7gbp) but they have good sales, and like I said, if you really can't wait you can just get them from elsewhere and use the calibre program to get them onto the kindle.

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 pm

just to add as well you can get loads of free books for kindle from amazon as well, i have tons of free ones that i didnt think i'd like and started reading and found some really good books, i love my kindle :love:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:52 pm

Watching this one with interest. I would love to go digital with books, it would solve some storage issues never mind the I can curl up in bed reading without annoying anyone issues!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I know what you mean about storage! I've given away literally hundreds of books and cds this year cos there's just not enough house!

V interesting to hear about Calibre, hadn't been aware of that!

Should really get my finger out and sell some stuff to fund a kindle! The funds are destined for a chest of drawers, but mummy sanity is more important than storage I think!

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:06 pm

My mum laughs because I have double rows of books on each shelf :giggle:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:20 pm

I had quad rows (one in front of the other plus the same on top) not to mention books shoved in cupboards, boxes and under beds. We only have 6 bookcases...

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm

I've got a kindle :widesmile: Got mine for Christmas and love it :D I'm just waiting to get funds so I can get the touch and give dh mine :giggle: Theres a Facebook group for books with calibre :wink:

I had books at the bottom of our wardrobe - my secret trips to Waterstones, that Dh knew nothing about :giggle: When we moved I filled 2 small stacking boxes of books I haven't read :oops:

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 pm

DH and I would definitely vote for kindles as we both have them - he has the version with the keyboard, and I have the one without. I prefer the one without, and so does he I believe, as it's so much lighter and the keyboard is not really used for anything anyway - having said that, I've got .pdf knitting patterns on mine and could see myself possibly putting notes on one of those, but haven't as yet.

I've not heard good things about the touch screen version though, so we won't be rushing to change ours for that just yet. :D

Next

Return to Book Club