hf1

The Lovely Bones - Feb Book Chat

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: The Lovely Bones - Feb Book Chat

Postby beffys » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 pm

I read this a couple of years ago too. It's a good book and cleverly written, but I found it really rather a depressing read just in terms of the base subject matter, although it did completely suck me in so it's very compelling where you just want to shake the characters out of it at certain points and find out what's going to happen next. It's not a book I would re-read though.

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby moonfruit » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Annette wrote:[
I don't think I will see the film as I have read mixed reviews and I think it could spoil it. I don't mind seeing films of books I love - the Time Traveller's Wife was excellent and really true to the book.

I think I might have to try and see the film then. I loved the book but wasn't sure about the film

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:41 pm

I liked the book. I was thrilled by the subject but expected something different. Maybe I've read to many thrillers :wink:
I didn't find it depressing, thinking after death you can sort of create your own heaven is not that bad.
Though it's pretty hard for the ones left behind.

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Just wanted to say that I had to pass on this book because the subject matter just sends my anxiety through the roof. This book would just make me start thinking about all the bad things that could happen to Leo.

Previous

Return to Book Club