Postby moonfruit » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:37 am

Well Ladies, what did we all think? :D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: The Lovely Bones - Feb Book Chat

Postby megansmummy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am

Well i didnt read this as part of the book club thing but i read it a few years ago on honeymoon :) I loved it...wasnt sure it was going to be for me when i read the first paragraph but i couldnt put it down, i really liked the way it was written too :)

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 am

I read it too a few years ago, then dd4 used it for her personal study in her English Higher.

I believe it's comong out as a film soon, looking forward to seeing if it's true to the book.

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 am

i have read it several times and love it too- but it is also v sad at the same time. It also reinforces something i was feel when people die through work- it is hard to feel for the person who has actually died but i often really feel for the loved ones left behind and for the effect it has on them :-?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:01 am

charliesam wrote:i have read it several times and love it too- but it is also v sad at the same time. It also reinforces something i was feel when people die through work- it is hard to feel for the person who has actually died but i often really feel for the loved ones left behind and for the effect it has on them :-?

yes, having now gone through loosing someone very close to me (i hadnt when i read the book) but it has often come into my thoughts since loosing my dad and about him looking down watching us etc...it deffinatly puts a different light on thihgs...

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:23 am

I havent read it for the book club but i have read it several times before. Its a lovely book and i think it brings hope to a horrible topic.

For that reason i wont see the film whenm its released, i can never watch a film when i have loved the book as it always spoils it for me.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 am

I read this when it came out too. I think it's incredibly cleverly done - the subject matter almost made me not even want to pick it up, and yet it manages to sort of derive something positive from the whole experience. I can't remember much of it specifically now tho, does she help those left behind to find her killer? and prevent another murder at the same time?

What I like about books like this is when they manage to get the "voice" of the the child right - in a similar vein (altho the heroine is still alive!) is Lullabies for Little Criminals, again an unsavoury topic (drugs and prostitution) but voiced through an 11 year old girl

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby moonfruit » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:47 am

I agree when I first saw the subject of the book I didn't think it would be enjoyable at all. But as everyone else has said, it brings hope and a positive light to a terrible situation. Often through the eyes of children, we can make more sense of the world.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:30 pm

northernruth wrote:I can't remember much of it specifically now tho, does she help those left behind to find her killer? and prevent another murder at the same time?

No - they never catch the killer, in fact he dies. But I love that about the book because the murder isn't the story so much as the impact of her death on all the people she has touched.

I don't think I will see the film as I have read mixed reviews and I think it could spoil it. I don't mind seeing films of books I love - the Time Traveller's Wife was excellent and really true to the book, but I just don't think you can do this one justice as there isn't a dramatic story iygwim, it is all about emotions.

It is amazing how it is written - starting after the major event rather than leading up to is like most stories.

Next

Return to Book Club