"How I lived a year on just a pound a day"

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

"How I lived a year on just a pound a day"

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Lived-Year- ... 445&sr=1-1

Just reading this and i was wondering if more of us have read it.
If so what do you think?
I think a pound a day wouldn't work, at least what so buys in supermarkets cost defo more overhere but on the other hand she's inspiring enough i.m.o.

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: "How I lived a year on just a pound a day"

Postby mangajude » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Looks interesting! I am assuming this doesn't include house hold bills, rent/mortgage etc or buying the book :giggle: . May be worth a read. See if the library has it in the spirit of saving money.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 am

When you posted this the other day I was curious to read her story, so bought the book! It was a good read, if not entirely practical for most people. Maybe I missed a bit out but she didn't seem to be paying towards electric or heating, and the pund a days surely can't have included council tax or anything (although she said she didn't turn any heating on but she did live in a shared flat, and obviously used the appliances etc) and my was there a lot of stuff for her to go to for free!! That just wouldn't work where I live, I don't think I've ever been to a free event where free booze has been offered, maybe a cup of tea and a biccie if you're lucky :lol: and free events are far and few between, obviously it's much easier to find free trips and things if you have a Uni close by. I have no idea where she found her 10p food, even when tesco's reduced shelves are full nothing is really "cheap" compared to value brands or special offers elsewhere. I once heard it was theft to take stuff out of recycling bins/other people bins, which she seemed to do quite a lot! and where was she finding all these "dropped" £20 notes??

I really admired her determination, there were quite a few times I would have given up or cheated had I been in her shoes, she really was committed! I know I've complained a lot recently about lack of money, not having a car of my own, no new clothes etc, but I felt a bit better about it all after reading the book and reminding myself that those things are not imperative to having a good time. It would be impossible for me to live on a pound a day, having children and all that, but I really will make more of an effort to spend less and do more things for free, and hopefully manage to save some money for the future!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:44 am

Gayle I agree.
and yes I do think it's a good book because although you nor me can't live on a pound a day but if gives ideas and makes you more aware of what we have.

Return to Book Club