Pastry for mince pies?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Pastry for mince pies?

Postby clothmama » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:11 am

I'd like to have a go at making my own pastry for the mince pies. Anyone have an easy / foolproof recipe?

ETA feeling overwhelmed by choice online of recipes and no idea what is easiest and works best hence asking for recommendations!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Pastry for mince pies?

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:08 am

I made a simple short crust the other day, but was too much me for. I like really thin and slightly crispy pastry, so need to discover what recipe that may be! Not much help, sorry!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:07 am

Everyone loves my mince pies and I use Nigellas recipe. Its a lovely flaky pastry. 240g flour, 60g unsalted butter cut into cubes and 60g vegetable fat ( I use trex) in small pieces. Mix in a bowl and freeze for 20 mins. Meanwhile squeeze an orange add some salt and refrigerate. After 20 mins is up blitz the fat and flour in a food processor so it looks like breadcrumbs then slowly add the juice until it forms a dough. Put in fridge for another 20 mins before rolling out

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:43 am

That sounds yum @Louise although I'm not sure if 'vegetable fat' exists here, I'll have to have a look at the supermarket!

@autumnalgirl could you cheat and use Filo pastry, that would be very light and crispy (and I think is my back up plan :lookround: :giggle: ).

Return to The Christmas Grotto