hf1

Medised etc...

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Medised etc.

Postby indigosky2k » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm

When I was at the doc with Kacie last week about her thrush and her cough I asked should I just give her some honey then and the doc said yes, that would be better than cough medicine for a cough :wink: I just make Kacie honey and lemon in hot water like I would for me or DH :D

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:58 pm

indigosky2k wrote:When I was at the doc with Kacie last week about her thrush and her cough I asked should I just give her some honey then and the doc said yes, that would be better than cough medicine for a cough :wink: I just make Kacie honey and lemon in hot water like I would for me or DH :D

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but how much honey/lemon/hot water do you use? and if you let it go cold will it have the same affect as obviusly i cant give it too alesha boiling hot

she has a stupid cough, that is clearly annoying/irrritating her, that she only seems to have for the first hour that she goes to sleep at night and in the morning when she first wakes for about a hour? :-?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 pm

123princesssammie wrote:
I know this is going to sound really stupid, but how much honey/lemon/hot water do you use? and if you let it go cold will it have the same affect as obviusly i cant give it too alesha boiling hot

she has a stupid cough, that is clearly annoying/irrritating her, that she only seems to have for the first hour that she goes to sleep at night and in the morning when she first wakes for about a hour? :-?

The hot water is to allow the honey to melt into the water properly so that its drinkable.
If allowed to cool a little - the warm water & sugary content then have an osmotic effect on the tissues in the throat drawing mucous out to allow to be coughed up more productively.
They have no effect on the chest - coz they don't get in the lungs!!
They offer symptomatic relief whilst the body fits the root cause - usually a virus (unless on anitbiotics also for a bacterial infection)

Saline nasal sprays for blocked noses work in a similar way - but irritating the nasal cavity, and drawing out mucuous (snot!) allowing it to be sneezed/blown out/ swallowed (ewww) more easily!

Previous

Return to Baby, childrens and family health