Constant illness?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Constant illness?

Postby clothmama » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 am

Louis has had so much time off school this winter and missed out on things like going to Sydney and then cub camp last weekend :( . It isn't always exactly the same thing, some of the time it is his tonsil flaring up, other times it is the local lurgy of the month. This weekend it was a high unexplained temp and then today he said that he felt yuck and I have let him stay home as it was only 3 days ago he was having temps of 40 over the weekend. I was going to be mean and give him some paracetemol and send him as I sometimes wonder if he is putting it on a bit to stay home (especially like today where he knows I'm at home all morning - he is such a mummy's boy :love: ) but I'm so glad I didn't as we sat down to watch the French news and he is asleep - totally out of it which is very unlike him, poor little guy.

I'm not sure what to do, I can't see any point going to the GP as there is nothing specific. I wonder if he is just run down from whatever the original bout of illness was. He is also growing heaps and is actually having growing pains as well. Has anyone else gone through stages like this with their kids? Any ideas? @docmaggoo any thoughts of anything I may not have thought about? I'm wondering if even some kids multi vitamins would be a good idea. He currently takes vitamin C (although we are a bit rubbish at remembering everyday!).

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Constant illness?

Postby ems101 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:37 am

Yes we've been through bouts like this too. Vits cant hurt can they. .I think often one nasty illness begets another. I was also thinking about the emotional work hes doing at the moment adjusting to the idea of a new baby, becoming a big brother and a middle child. Even if there is a big part of him that is really very pleased with your new addition there will undoubtedly be a small perhaps unconscious part that is less sure about it. Sometimes these kinds of adjustments can leave you depleted and the discomfort will show in physiological ways rather than behavioural as yoy might expect in a younger child. Id verge on the side of coddling but not over do it so that it will increase the blow when the baby does arrive.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:48 am

Esme went through a stage like this. We gave her a multi vitamin with iron and made sure that she had an extra good diet and she did eventually move out of it. We did also take her to the drs to rule anything underlying out.
Hope he gets better soon

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 am

Our boys have been almost constantly ill since October. We had a very mild winter though and I'm sure that the bugs weren't killed off like they normally are. I hope Louis catches a break soon.

Return to Baby, childrens and family health