hf1

High temp what would you do?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

High temp what would you do?

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

On thursday pips had a temp of 37.7, since then its been between 37.5-37.7. Shes not ill, no cough or cold and isnt acting poorly (but then until her temp hits 39 she never does) this morning 37.6 still no cold or anything she happily went to school. How long would you leave a child with a temp before getting them checked this is day 5. Shes not been ill so not given any meds and i know its not a massive temp but it is up

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: High temp what would you do?

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 am

There is a school of thought that says that fevers exist to combat infection; to cook the bugs as it were.
I tend to let temperatures ride and monitor if not unwell (both in practice and at home). In my experience within 2-3 days it has usually gone, and if not has become symptomatic by then.
I'd probably leave it 3-4 days before asking a doc. I wouldn't medicate unless actually bothered by having a temperature.

Incidentally, my temp is nearly always well over 37

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:43 am

Sorry, just seen day 5 @girlinleeds
Maybe time for non-urgent enquiry?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:02 am

@cuppachaplz thats why im a bit unsure shes not acting ill apart from occasionally complaining of being warm and looking flushed, but you can tell she has a temp just from touching her. If she had a cold or something id not be bothered but its the fact shes well with a temp thats concerning me. My gp already thinks im neurotic though so try to put of going if i can, i'll check her temp when i get her from school and then give them a ring, thanks hun xx

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:09 am

I don't think you're being neurotic at all, especially given that she us already being seen by an endocrinologist isn't she?
While not an emergency, I'd still be concerned enough to ask by now.
For what it's worth, I've always told people that I'd rather see them or talk/ check etc for nothing than not see for something. I know I'm a vet not a doctor, but medic friends say the same applies.
Thinking of you both xx

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:07 am

She still has a temp so dh is going to boodk drs

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:11 am

I'd get her checked.

Does she have a cold/runny nose??

With Day 5 of a fever with no obvious focus for infection - Id definitely get he checked out

Might b worth taking a urine sample to the GP as well - can rule out a UTI as well them!

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Dh says her temp is 36.1 dont believe him she was roasting hot to touch when i checked this morning, its a tympanic thermometer and i know if you dont position it properly they give false readings will check myself when home. Shes not ill in the slightest no runny nose/cough or anything which is why its puzzling me

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:31 pm

What's a tympanic thermometer?

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health