When do I worry?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

When do I worry?

Postby clothsister » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:02 pm

hi all,

Sorry I've been awol, trying to catch up before mil comes tomorrow.

Since this afternoon Penny has started making a weird sound. First time I heard it she was having a tantrum and when she breathed in she made a sort of barking Sound. She went to bed at 8 and has woken herself up coughing/barking. She's feeding at the moment and her breathing in sounds noisy.

Do you think cough/chest infection/croup can any of these just come on from no where?

Thinking of getting an ooh appointment tomorrow if it's still there but now worrying about putting her down.

@docmaggoo any advice? Sorry to ask but my worry hat is one. X

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: When do I worry?

Postby Sunset » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:51 pm

Chest infection is usually accompanied with a high temp, does she have a temp? The barking sound could be croup, I would get her seen tomorrow. In the meantime, steam helps dry coughs so if she is struggling I would take her in bathroom with you, shut the door and run the shower to get it nice and steamy.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 am

No, no temp at all. Have had her head raised with a calpol plug in and she seems ok at the moment but will keep an eye on it
Xx

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:29 am

Croup has a seal bark cough. It's very distinctive and treated usually with a single steroid dose but cold air is also fab for easing croup. Wrap her up and take her out in the night air. See a doc if it doesn't ease

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:14 am

How is she this morning Luc' @clothsister ?

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:39 pm

Got an ooh appointment at 16:24 (that's not a typo it's at 16:24!) she seems fine during the day not coughing but when she cries and breaths in it sounds like a seal. It is a really distinctive noise. When she coughs at night it sounds like seals barking. :(

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm

It does sound like croup to me (but I'm not o health professional)

I hope that she is on the mend soon.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Definitely croup but been told they won't do anything until it is worse (I.e the middle of the night) been told to take her straight into A&E if she is regularly barking when breathing in. X

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm

@clothmama it sounds like Zelda has had croup this week too although a day or so before Penny. I hope Rémy doesn't get it too. Thankfully both P&Z seem to be pretty mild by all accounts. X

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health