hf1

Fed up of 11 yr olds strops

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Fed up of 11 yr olds strops

Postby LynniferT » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:08 am

Ds2's strops are getting worse and if he hasnt eaten enough or tea isnt want he wants, our evenings are spoilt by trying to calm him down.
(Last night's was because he didnt want cottage pie :roll: )

I'm fed up of being spoken to the way he does when he's in a mood and treading on eggshells in case it puts him in a mood. What can i do???

Hes at secondary school... What resources will they have there? I've tried docs before and they werent helpful.

I know some children are just naturally more moody than others but his behaviour is rubbing off on the younger kids and they are following his lead :x

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Fed up of 11 yr olds strops

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:18 am

Hugs Lynn >:D<
Feeling your pain, here.

Ask the school what they have. Many have counselling services that they can access (although often quite a wait). Does the school have a pastoral care office or year tutor who you can ask?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:57 am

:hug: it is so tough isn't it? I hate the way Josh and Louis speak to each other and occasoinally me and I also struggle with how to deal with it when it happens, fortunately it isn't too often to me. I think Tamsins idea of finding out what the school offers is a good place to start. Is there anything else going on with him? I think that often with mine they are worse if there is a problem at school or something like that :hug: What does he say when you talk to him about it? It sounds like it is effecting family life so you really need to find a solution - good luck and let us know how you get on.

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:28 pm

I think it has become worse since starting secondary school. Not sure if this is because of the walk to school and back is tiring or the fact he doesn't really like change and may be struggling to get used to new friends, classes, homework etc.

Because the arguments/strops revolve around food and being hungry... i was wondering if the docs would do a blood sample to see if everything is ok healthwise?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:55 pm

They go through stages of eating insane quantities of food so maybe he really does need more. I seem to remember they have a really long walk to school? And if he is doing a lot of sport as well he may well be eating amounts that you won't believe! Worth seeing your GP too just to rule out anything going on :hug:

Return to Baby, childrens and family health