Chesty cough help?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Chesty cough help?

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:41 pm

Rémy not great he has a nasty cough and isn't well.

Any hints for helping him?

We have the cot up on an angle and I'm rubbing him with snuffle baby stuff and keeping up with calpol and nurafen when needed.

I just read this on a really old thread - might be worth a try!

monsterm wrote:
charlibunny wrote:People swear by a bowl of raw chopped onions under the bed. It works, honestly!

It may sound weird but an onion really does work. An onion can pull out toxins and kill viruses. If you have sinus problems, sore throat, headache rub a half an onion on those areas and it helps cure the problem. It is especially good for congestion. Chop an onion and put it under the bed or on the dresser beside the bed & it clear the congestion.

Amelie is full of cold at the moment & she has a bad cough. I am using a cough syrup I made myself. Chop an onion & put it in a saucepan. Add enough honey just to cover the onion. Add 1 teaspoon of cloves (for pain relief) and 1 teaspoon of ginger powder (just for a warming feeling). Gently heat up to a gentle boil & then simmer for 20 mins with the lid on. Strain out the onion etc & you are left with a great cough syrup. You can't taste any onion, promise. Give children under 10 1 teaspoon as often as you think they need it. Adults & children over 10, give one tablespoon or add a tablespoon to boiling water for a comforting drink.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Chesty cough help?

Postby emmavmorgan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Can you get carob syrup in the uk? If you can put a teaspoon full into a cup of warm milk. When Sam's chest was bad at that age I would always let him sleep in the pushchair so he was really upright which always helped. I hope he's feeling better soon >:D<

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:10 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:Can you get carob syrup in the uk?

Not sure (and he won't drink milk :roll: !) I'll see if I can get some tomorrow.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:00 pm

I used to steam Dylan. Either in the bath, door closed, boiling water in the sink or just sit and play in there with the shower on its hottest setting.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Steam here too. I shut the bathroom door and sit in the bath with him but put hot shower on so room fills with steam.

People say put garlic on their feet or Vicks !

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:10 pm

We steam them, or use a humidifier.

Coughs are horrible in such little ones. Hope he gets well soon xx

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:59 pm

Another vote for steam, Lochlan got croup a lot as a baby and we basically lived in the showe! Also the cold air seamed to help a little but it's rather mild in Scotland just now, never mind France!!

Return to Baby, childrens and family health