Nits!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Nits!

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:05 am

I seem to be cursed by the damn things - we have had them on and off since Josh's gf brought them to us when she visited in August :shock: :shock: :shock: so I have obviously not got rid off them so I am now on a mission :furious: :miss_andry: :judge:

We spent a massive evening looking for nits in everyones hair :doh: The big boys seem fine and J is too (he never gets them with his very short hair). I then did the conditioner / tea tree treatment in mine and Rémy's hair and found quite a lot (again :doh: :doh: :x :cry: ) in Rémy's and a few in mine. I then spent the rest of the evening after dinner and got him to bed doing more research on the whole nit thing. I think what has happened is that when I thought I'd got rid of them when we got to Oz (it had been going on for a while and I'd not been good enough at coming back on the right day etc so I really got stuck in when we got there and got rid of them) is that I must have missed 1 or 2 (he is so hard to comb) and thought we were good as he stopped itching etc as apparently it takes a month to get to the point where there are enough of them to be irritating so I think that is what has happened. There is a really good blog by a professional nit eradicator (yes you can go and pay for someone else to do it for you :shock: :shock: :hohoho: :hohoho: ) and she (and other things I read) absolutely say you just have to suck it up and get a really good metal comb - see I didnt' realise that I thought the plastic ones were better. I have ordered a metal one on line but I think I'm going to try to find one in the shops as well so I can get on top of this for once and for all asap!

I anyone else has this issue come up this is the blog I found very helpful:
http://thenicelicelady.blogspot.fr/
One of the interesting things that she says is not to waste your energy trying to wash everything in the house - they can't live off your head for long at all. I think this will help me as I have piles of washing due to changing sheets every time I have been treating him this week (did a spray a few days ago with a tea tree blend - based on what I found last night didnt' work as well as I'd thought it did) so this will make a huge difference not to have to do that (I'll probably still change his pillow case every time but not everything).

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Nits!

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:32 am

We use a metal comb here. They have such a short life cycle too. I have a friend who had similar issues. Talking to her, we discovered she didn't know about the short life cycle, once she did they were sorted. Hope you can get rid!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:37 am

I keep them away with regular conditioner and nitty gritty comb. But there was one time when we had them and it was out of control. I bought the chemical treatment and that killed them all off in one treatment x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 am

I never use anything other than conditioner and a nitty gritty metal comb. I comb every other day for a few weeks. Their life cycle is about 35 days so you need to make sure you keep combing for around that length of time.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Hate them :evil: we just had them :eek: and usually always do the nitty comb and conditioner when they have it in kindergarten but this time I have used this Oil-based mixture that kills eggs and lice and it def helped :thumbsup: thinking of doing another turn tomorrow when they don't have to be back in school or kindergarten for 2 weeks then hopefully we can have a nitty free Christmas :giggle:
Its just so annoying and the reason they still have it at Ds kindergarten is that there are kids that don't get checked :whip:

Return to Baby, childrens and family health