hf1

Sugar

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Sugar

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 am

I can barely post for being too excited about cloth baby!!

I want to cut some sugar out of our diets. I'm pretty addicted I think and the children have too much. Things I want to target are snacks and yogurts.

Any experience of this? Ideas? Thoughts?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Sugar

Postby littlesez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 pm

We don't have much sugar, pretty much zero sweetener but they are allowed any much fruit as they want. We font have anything in the house no juice, sweets, biscuits nothing so it's easy tbh. They have treats if out and about so it works well x

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

That sounds good Sara. We often have petit filous style yogs and they are awful really. Lunch box biscuits are popular too. I need to bake more.

Any lunchbox ideas? @Louise I'm sure will!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:20 pm

We Just have sandwiches and fruit , mean mama :giggle:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Cruel and wicked!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:40 pm

And picky bits like nuts, sweet corn , cockles, prawns :) we make a lot of savoury snacks and just call them cake :hohoho: mini frittata s, savoury scones, oh I have started making chocolate, it'd still got honey or agave though which is just sugar really lol

Do you ever buy Heinz beans ? I make my own which the kids love and no sugar or salt :)

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:12 pm

We don t do well on the sugar bit either @ems101
The kids don t have many sweets but they do have juice and yoghurts. I need more 'pudding' ideas.
I should provide more veg snacks as the kids like things like raw carrot and pepper, sugar snap peas etc. I just don t always have them ready prepared and then time is an issue.
I also need to do more baking and making our own..... Again time is an issue at the mo. I will at some point!
Mine love fruit but if they have too much it has an adverse affect iykwim ;) so I actually have to limit it or that's all they would eat.

What does everyone else serve as a ' pudding' if anything? We re totally stuck in a rut.

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:19 pm

We have too much sugar here too, and also have to limit fruit intake although lo loves it, not so good for her tummy in large quantities!

I do bake biscuits and cakes but not sure that they are any healthier tbh....Other snacks we do are bread sticks and cream cheese, cucumber sticks, etc. Interestingly the health visitor told me that mik ice lollies contain less sugar than fromage frais yoghurts and these go down well but not sure how healthy they are

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 pm

We dint really have baked beans as the children dint like them, but I Love them! If you have a good recipe @littlesez please share! But free savoury snack recipes too please! I'm going to do some baking replacing some sugar with sweet potato and agave. I dint think we'll ever cut out sugar but can definitely reduce it! I've bought natural yog this week instead of petit filoius and some squeezy yoga with fruit puree in. Meridian peanut butter - no salt or sugar, dried fruit instead of biscuits. Unflavoured popcorn maybe? Banana 'ice cream' healthier flapjacks... Fruit fruit and more fruit!!

Next

Return to Healthy Eating