hf1

Wean me off disposable wipes!

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Wean me off disposable wipes!

Postby mama2boyz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:28 am

It's daft bc I have zillions of homemade cloth wipes but I still use disposables! :doh:

here are my issues:

- I don't trust myself to be disciplined enough to make up a fresh batch of solution.
- I did use soapy water from the tap but by the time I'd done it the poo-ey bottom had run away so I' really like a pre-moistened system.
- I like the smell of Johnsons wipes :oops:
- if I use cloth wipes I'd like to use them out and about as well as otherwise I'll just reach for the disposables even when at home. Using water from public loo handbasins isn't an option as around here you're lucky to find public loos and when you do very often they are unheated so the water would be freezing.
- I struggle with wetbags/what to do with soiled nappies/wipes when out and about. Are those uber expensive Monkey foot wetbags really worth the price tag?

What I need I guess is the Cheeky Wipes set up but as I already have the wipes, it would be a bit of a waste. I know I can buy the individual components but you can only get the touch-top containers in the big kit and touch-top does seem far more practical than non-touch-top....

Somehow I think I am overcomplicating this!!! Still would like to hear suggestions though :wink:

Tahnk you!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Wean me off disposable wipes!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:36 am

ok

The monkeyfoot wet bags are FAB! and Im planning on using mine for swimming bags when the kids get older.

/you could make up a solution and put your wipes in a box for the day. Or I bought a wipes warmer which has been fab, and you could always put a dash of johnsons baby wash in for that smell :wink:

When out and about I think you just have to take a bag with wet wipes in, and prepare your LO for that cold wipe sensation :giggle:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:36 am

- I don't trust myself to be disciplined enough to make up a fresh batch of solution. You don't need a solution, just use tap water
- I did use soapy water from the tap but by the time I'd done it the poo-ey bottom had run away so I' really like a pre-moistened system. - wet the wipe (don't need soap) before you take the nappy off - get everything ready before you do anything!
- I like the smell of Johnsons wipes - I'm sure it's very nice, just read the ingredients! Anything Johnsons is nasty.
- if I use cloth wipes I'd like to use them out and about as well as otherwise I'll just reach for the disposables even when at home. Using water from public loo handbasins isn't an option as around here you're lucky to find public loos and when you do very often they are unheated so the water would be freezing. Cold water never hurt anyone, that's all we ever used and none of my boys complained. The other option is to take a bottle of water with you, but that'll be cold too.
- I struggle with wetbags/what to do with soiled nappies/wipes when out and about. Are those uber expensive Monkey foot wetbags really worth the price tag? - any wet bag will do the job. We loved our WeeNotions bags, but also had a plain and boring white PUL bag.

Really, all you need is the wipes and access to clean water. You don't need anything else.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 am

I used the foaming wipes solution from Babykind http://www.babykind.co.uk/wipes.htm#foaming when we were out and about and it was very handy to use - dry wipes, a good squirt of this solution and popped the messy wipes into the wet bag - easy peasy :)

At home, I used plain warm water and a good sized wipe or face flannel, which I wet before starting nappy change, so it was there when I needed it.

Just stop buying disposable wipes - you will soon find you dont need them :wink:

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:23 am

ladybird wrote:- I don't trust myself to be disciplined enough to make up a fresh batch of solution. You don't need a solution, just use tap water
- I did use soapy water from the tap but by the time I'd done it the poo-ey bottom had run away so I' really like a pre-moistened system. - wet the wipe (don't need soap) before you take the nappy off - get everything ready before you do anything!
- I like the smell of Johnsons wipes - I'm sure it's very nice, just read the ingredients! Anything Johnsons is nasty.
- if I use cloth wipes I'd like to use them out and about as well as otherwise I'll just reach for the disposables even when at home. Using water from public loo handbasins isn't an option as around here you're lucky to find public loos and when you do very often they are unheated so the water would be freezing. Cold water never hurt anyone, that's all we ever used and none of my boys complained. The other option is to take a bottle of water with you, but that'll be cold too.
- I struggle with wetbags/what to do with soiled nappies/wipes when out and about. Are those uber expensive Monkey foot wetbags really worth the price tag? - any wet bag will do the job. We loved our WeeNotions bags, but also had a plain and boring white PUL bag.

Really, all you need is the wipes and access to clean water. You don't need anything else.

WSS! Johnsons are notorious for chemical nasties :( we use just water & wet the wipe before taking nappy off. Easy!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:24 am

Pretty much what others have said. I leave my wipes in a large tub near the sink in the kitchen and before a nappy change, I run some under the tap (cold), squeeze them out then track Isaac down :lol: . Occasionally I use warm water :wink:

9 times out of 10 I use only water but sometimes do put a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil in a tupperwear tub with warm water and dip the wipes in that before use. When doing this I use the same water for 2-3 days if there's enough. I doubt that anything bad would happen if you didn't change the water often enough though :-?

I do have a packet of eco-disp wipes in the change bag that have been in there 6 months or more and I never use them at home. Go back to basics and keep it simple :wink: :D

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 am

mama2boyz wrote:What I need I guess is the Cheeky Wipes set up but as I already have the wipes, it would be a bit of a waste. I know I can buy the individual components but you can only get the touch-top containers in the big kit and touch-top does seem far more practical than non-touch-top....

My opinion: buy the set anyway :giggle:
Yes you'll have an extra set of wipes, but so what? If you're anything like me, the wipes tend to go awol over time anyway!! :roll: (Not sure where they go, surely the washing machine can't "eat" that many?!).
Plus I find it really handy to have a spare set of wipes, as I tend to wait until I've got ~ a full set before making up the solution to soak the wipes in.

If it's discipline you need to get into using washable wipes, having it all set uo for you doesn't come much easier than the Cheeky Wipe set.

Dooby x

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mama2boyz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:56 am

For those of you that use just water - how old are your little ones?
I really can't see how water would clean my kids poo off :oops:

I'm going to try a homemade wipe solution in a wetbox (take away container) for when at home and some moist wipes in a bag when out.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:05 am

i think my answers are the same as previous - i grab nappy, grab a handful of wipes (i use pre-washed disposable wipes that are about 3 years old and keep being rewashed but need more than if it was proper washable wipes) stick wipes under tap, get child and do change.

we did this right through to potty training with ds which was just under age 3.

Next

Return to Washable Wipes