Newbie help ll pocket

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Newbie help ll pocket

Postby Katielou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,
I am new here and have a few questions I am hoping someone can help with. I have a 5 week old baby girl. She is on formula and drinking roughly 4-6 oz 3 hourly. I bought 12 ll pockets prior to her arrival that came with two bamboo boosters I also have a couple of ebay cheapies and quite a few terry squares and one small wrap. My problem is the pockets are often leaking around the leg and wetting clothes by the time I change her which is every three hours as that's when she feeds and is often asleep in between. I have been using both boosters and they seem quite wet when I change so I think they are just overfilling. Last night as she sleeps 6 hours I used three boosters and this worked but was quite bulky. This is fine for indoors in grows but might be too bulky for under clothes when out. I'm thinking although she's only tiny atm her diet is completely liquid so maybey when she starts solids the weeing may calm down, is this the case or is it only going to get worse? I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting extra bamboo boosters for all the nappies or maybey get some extra wraps and use terrys at home? How long are they likely to last? Also what about hemp boosters? Sorry if this is all a bit mumble jumble I'm just a bit lost! Thanks in advance!

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Newbie help ll pocket

Postby Katielou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Also I don't think its the fit with the ll as it was happening on smallest leg poppers and have had to change to second smallest as the smallest were leaving very red marks on her legs.

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:17 pm

Also forgot to say she was 10lb 9oz monday

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 pm

:wave: welcome and congratulations on your little one!

It sounds to me like she needs more absorbency. Both my boys were stupidly heavy wetters until they started on solids - I couldn't use pockets at all!

If you have any hemp boosters pop one if those in under the bamboo / they absorb slower so need the bamboo on top but hold a lot more liquid and are very slim.
My favourites are Easy Peasy hemp boosters - slim, absorbent and cheap!

As for bulky bums (I quite like the cloth bum look and on my two the nappy was needed to keep their trousers up as they are quite slim hipped), I tended to use soft trousers and size up if needed or for a girl a dress / longer top and leggings is a good option. If you want to spend the money, Frugi cut for cloth clothes are designed to go over cloth nappies, as are many WAHM clothes.

HTH!

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks for reply. I think I was just looking for confirmation that's she really could be weeing that much!! I'll think I'll get a pack of the hemps and see how that works. I have no problem with the look of the big bum it's just that some of the clothes people have bought for her struggle to go over! Will stick to leggings long tops and dresses with what I buy I think!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 pm

:thumbsup:
Let me know how you get on :)

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks will do!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Even fitted nappies couldn't hold 3hrs worth of wee for my newborns! I'd try changing 1.5hrly or ll do bamboo squares. They are compressed bamboo so more absorbant but less bulk! They come with the sized pockets which are also guesseted which I find helps with leaks. Make sure clothing isn't tight around the nappy. Vest extenders help and baggy trousers/baby gros!

My avatar
Sophiebeth23
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Sophiebeth23 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:22 am

I would change more frequently as I know my dd would have wet lots more during newborn stage. Have you washed them enough times?

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat