hf1

Please help me decide what to buy!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Please help me decide what to buy!

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Mine are both aplix (front-fastening) and I've just checked and the person I bought them from *thought* they were bamboo outers and hemp inserts. I would have thought that the wee would run straight out on contact with the hemp but strangely it doesn't; that combo works very well for us!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Just had a look at your list - as you have plenty of MEOS as well as size 1 fitteds I wouldn't buy any more at the moment, particularly as you want trim nappies which are easy for other people to use. I'd buy another batch of one-size pockets - although they'll be a bit bulky on your new LO, at least you can use them for both girls. My absolute favourites are WN and BBOS (minkee not PUL), plus BG although they're soooo boring to look at, although I've heard that Upsy Daisy birth-to-potty pockets are very good too.

I used fitteds with my LO when she was tiny and we had issues with breast-fed poo blowouts too - not sure if it would be any better with pockets, I suspect not though.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:36 pm

I would have thought the poo leaks would be worse with pockets because there is only one layer to get through, rather than the nappy and the wrap, which is why I bought the sandys really as I was told they are very good for that. No, definatly got enough MEOS. I only have the amount I do because I got some at a stupidly low price at the NCT sale yesterday. But I do get on very well with them. Elouise is in one now as it is washing day for the pockets. When we are at home and it is just me here, I THINK I prefer MEOS to the pockets. Can't really make up my mind though. I much prefer the fleece lining in pockets as feed a bit like she is wet all over in the MEOS, although we now have the stay dry boosters so not as bad.

I was thinking about ordering some onesize lil stinkies, mainly because we don't have any really pretty nappies and they look lovely and £10 each is not bad. Not sure how they would be on little ones though?

I think I do need to order some more inserts though. I washed my pockets today and the actual pockets were dry within an hour in the sun, where as they inserts will probably go out again tomorrow! If I have more inserts then it shouldn't matter how long they take to dry. How many inserts do you think I need? And is Bamboo or hemp better in the day? We seem to be getting on fine with pettis dessous bamboo inserts but they are much more expensive then the hemp ones I have just ordered and I am thinking that the wee is going to get heavier as she gets bigger. Guess it is a year or so till potty training.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Gracies ud nn is french soy and it is great, very absorbant. xx

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks for that. Is she a heavy wetter? I don't really know what the frech soy is TBH!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:06 pm

I haven't tried Little Stinkies but I've heard that they're very good.

How many inserts depends on what size and type and how many pocket nappies you have...I prefer bamboo over hemp, or microterry over bamboo during the day i.e. two inserts per nappy. Have you tried Blueberry combo inserts? 1/3 microterry and 2/3 hemp. They're on sale at Babykind at £3 each at the moment and are very good (although my new ones keep leaking - I don't think they're up to full absorbency yet).

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Yes I have 2 blueberry combos and I have the same problem as you with the leaking but they are still fairly new and think they just need more washing. I would like some more but even on sale the onesize ones are still £4.40 each. I guess I just need to go for it and stop being so stingey! I would want the onesize rather than sized as otherwise I would need twice as many i guess? It is onesize I have at the moment. Although I am not sure what is better, to pay more to get the combo, which is great and very confinient or just get the easy peasy hemp which are 5 for £10. I have loads of MF inserts already, but guess it is more bulky to have 2 seperate ones? I wish I could find some preloved ones, I hate all this washing clean stuff! I am too impatient :x

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:56 pm

JennyPenny wrote:Yes I have 2 blueberry combos and I have the same problem as you with the leaking but they are still fairly new and think they just need more washing. I would like some more but even on sale the onesize ones are still £4.40 each. I guess I just need to go for it and stop being so stingey! I would want the onesize rather than sized as otherwise I would need twice as many i guess? It is onesize I have at the moment. Although I am not sure what is better, to pay more to get the combo, which is great and very confinient or just get the easy peasy hemp which are 5 for £10. I have loads of MF inserts already, but guess it is more bulky to have 2 seperate ones? I wish I could find some preloved ones, I hate all this washing clean stuff! I am too impatient :x

Yes, onesize is usually better with combos. It looks like they've sold out of the £3 ones :( One MF insert with one hemp underneath isn't too bulky as the hemp is usually very slim. It's a pity it seems to take ages to wash it up to full absorbency though. If you buy the Easy Peasy pack you can also use them at night, and you've got the flexibility to put as many as you need in your night nappies.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 pm

I ordered 5 of the easy peasy ones on friday but I am thinking that I should have ordered more? Is one EP enough in the day? I guess I will probably need a few at night.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat