hf1

Cloth and pavlick harness :-(

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Cloth and pavlick harness :-(

Postby beaubelle » Sat May 29, 2010 1:00 pm

I am probably jumping the gun here, but I am worried that this week I am going to get news that I have to put my little man into a pavlick harness on account of his loose hips. :( He was diagnosed with loose hips at 6 weeks and the doctor said we won't do anything until 4 months because 9/10 times these right themselves. I was a bit unsure about this as I had heard from others including my phn that the earlier these are detected and dealt with the better (quicker recovery and it's much easier harness a young baby than one who is getting more active) so, after pestering my doctor about it a bit, and she continually reassuring me, I eventually organised x-rays etc, and the 2nd opinion doctor thinks they are still loose. We are currently awaiting results of the x-ray. I am so annoyed with myself that I waited this long (he's now nearly 5 months and is a big baby).

Anyway, I know this is not all too important in the grander scheme of things, but I was just wondering has anyone else been in this situation and been able to continue to use cloth? Somewhere at the back of my mind I am hoping that having had him in cloth this far may have helped him a bit as years ago, double diapering was one of the ways that this issue was dealt with. Anyway, as I say, this all might be a bit premature, but I am just worried about him, and would love to keep him in cloth if I could. If you google a pic of the pavlick harness it looks pretty awful... Should've kept away from google.... :cry:

Thanks ladies. x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Cloth and pavlick harness :-(

Postby megansmummy » Sat May 29, 2010 1:32 pm

:idea:

i hope that you get better news than your thinking :hug: :hug: :hug:

I looked after a little girl in a pavlick harness at the nursery where i worked and although she was in disp nappies i cant see why you wouldnt be able to use cloth...

http://www.childrens-mercy.org/Content/ ... px?id=5105

I dont know if you have come accross that link but there is some info on there and it says you can use either cloth or disp nappies :hug:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sat May 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi, I don't know anyhting about this really, but it's good to hear that this is being dealt with.

http://www.clothnappytree.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48078 Although this page talks about clothing, the picture on the right shows a little girl with a cloth wrap on, so I'm thinking you can use cloth nappies.

If it's more about needing specific shaped nappie, maybe cut higher in the leg, I am sure that there are a few WAHM's who would be able to help out with that.

:hug: I hope the treatment goes well.

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby beaubelle » Sat May 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks a million ladies!

That link is very helpful Megansmummy... At least I know it's been done before! (Only problem is ALL of my stash are front poppers/ velcro :roll: ...typical!!) Though on the positive, I could use it as an excuse to invest in some new nappies :)

Jabberjabber...As you say, there's always WAHM. Didn't even think of that!

Hopefully it won't come to this. He is already going through clothes at an alarming rate... He's 20lbs at 19 weeks. I can't afford to buy him a whole new wardrobe for a harness!!!!

Thanks again girlies .x

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun May 30, 2010 8:24 am

I dont know much about said harness, but I was told by the paediatrician at the hospital that cloth nappies are much better for babies hips, although how they'd work with a harness on, I'm not sure :-? If disps can be used, then why not I suppose! :hug: :hug:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sun May 30, 2010 8:41 am

I don't see any reason for not using cloth with a Pavlick harness hun. In fact, the Pavlick harness website actually says:

Disposable diapers and cloth diapers with elastic type bands will prevent any urine or stools from getting out. If something gets on the straps of the harness, just dab out the spot with a cloth and let the harness air dry.

So looks like you will be ok to continue with them.

Jan x

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sun May 30, 2010 8:46 am

You shouldn't need any special nappy for a pavlik harness. The only part of it that is really in the way when they are small is the chest strap, so if anything a low rise nappy is sometimes better suited. I've made nappies and adapted clothing for older children that have worn pavlik harnesses, as pull up pants were not an option in the first few months when the straps were not allowed to be taken off at all. Cloth nappies won't get in the way of anything at all.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun May 30, 2010 10:30 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: hun. My first was in a brace from when she left hospital until 12 wks. At the time, it was horrifying & I cried alot about it so I feel your pain. A cloth nappy would have fit not a bother but I wasn't using cloth with my first.

My second had an x-ray at 5 months because she had an extra crease under her bottom which is a sign of hip dysplasia & there was talk about the harness but her x-ray came back fine. The dr said that the cloth would have definitely helped so here's hoping your little man will be ok too

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby beaubelle » Sun May 30, 2010 11:54 am

monsterm wrote:My second had an x-ray at 5 months because she had an extra crease under her bottom which is a sign of hip dysplasia & there was talk about the harness but her x-ray came back fine. The dr said that the cloth would have definitely helped so here's hoping your little man will be ok too

hanks ladies for all your replies. I hope I'm just being alarmist, but I'm the sort of person that needs to adjust to an idea beforehand, so I end up expecting the worst and hoping for the best :roll:

Monsterm.... My ds has asymmetrical bum folds too... Thats how it was initially detected, so here's hoping his xray will turn out ok!

Thanks again. x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat