hf1

Baba and Boo Series II Nappy

My avatar
hermya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Baba and Boo Series II Nappy

Postby hermya » Mon May 02, 2011 8:21 pm

I was sent one of these to review after responding to a thread on here asking for testers and luckily I got picked :yahoo:.

We recieved the nappy in the post and after a pre wash we gave it a good testing. My DS is 18lbs and is on the long side of things. We're on the second snaps in most birth to potty nappies and this one was no exception.

Style: 10/10

The nappy that we recieved was in a stylish zebra print in lovely soft minkee. The nappy has been through the wash three times now and the minkee has remained lovely and soft to the touch. I must admit I have found that sometimes minkee nappies can become a bit stiff feeling after going through the wash a few times but it wasn't the case with this one.

Design: 10/10

Design wise this nappy looks somewhat similar to the new style Fuzzi Bunz with the squared off tabs and cross over snaps on the tabs. It also has two rows of snaps with the ones at the top to adjust the waist and a second row to help with adjustability around the legs. It has an elasticated pocket at the back for stuffing and the pocket itself is very roomy so you can boost it however you choose. Size wise I would say this was comparable to the bumgenius V4; I say it's comparable as I held it against one when they were both unsnapped and they looked to me to be the same. I would say however that this nappy would have more give around the waist than a V4 due to the tabs being that bit longer. I was able to pull the snaps tighter than I would have done on a V4 on my son. The nappy came with two big inserts and the inserts were poppered (similar to bumgenius inserts) enabling you to adjust them to fit on the particular rise of the nappy. The one thing I really loved about this nappy was the elasticated pocket at the back, I've found that some of the more gappy openings at the pack of some pocket nappies cause the inserts to wick at the back of my sons clothing.

Absorbency: 10/10

This nappy is fabulous for aborbency, I'd say my son is a bit of a heavy wetter and I've gotten to know our limits based on whatever nappy he is in. Both times I left this nappy on my son beyond what I'd normally leave him in a reusable for. The second time he had it on, he had it on for over four hours. Despite him being in it for so long, the nappy held up very well and I was really impressed. If he had been in any other nappy we would have ended up with a change of clothes. As for poo containment, I was very impressed with this nappy. We're weaning at the moment and things can be a bit explosive. This nappy held up against a poonami of epic proportions the first time we had it on, I was actually very impressed that it did to be honest with you.

Drying Time: 10/10

This dried overnight on the rack in our kitchen no problem, like most microfibre nappies they're pretty quick drying.

Ease of Use: 10/10

As with most pocket nappies, these are very easy to use. You just popper them down to the rise you need, stuff the pocket and you're good to go.

Value for money: 10/10

Really you can't go wrong at £7.50 per nappy, this puts them at nearly half the price of a Bumgenius. This makes cloth a lot more accessable for those that feel that the up front cost is too much for them to bare. My friend bought Baba and Boo when she was starting out with Cloth and just raves about them all the time and now after testing them out I can see why. I love this nappy, it looks so cute when it's on and it's definately a changing bag nappy (I take my talking point nappies out in my change bag). All in all a win!!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Baba and Boo Series II Nappy

Postby eviesmummy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Style: 7/10
Absorbancy: 10/10
Ease of use: 9/10
Drying Time: 1010
Design: 7/10

This review is based on using the nappy on a large newborn, weighing over 9lbs.

I received a lovely deep fushia pink nappy with 2 microfibre inserts. It was simply packaged with printed instructions on cardboard which could be recycled which I liked straight away.

Style wise - as birth to potty nappies go, its as tidy as you would expect when its folded down to its smallest size. A bit puffy, and a bit of leg gape when my daughter first wore it which meant leaks, but as her legs fatten up its fitting much better.

Absorbancy - we are currently using this with just the smaller insert and its lasting in between feeds, so 1-2 hours, which is fine for a newborn :) However, it does say on the instructions that a single microfibre insert could last up to 6 hours which I think is very optimistic.

Ease of Use: Once I had the poppers all done properly, its easy enough to use :)

Drying Time: Dries overnight on the airer.

Design: Totally functional, but perhaps a bit more tweaking for this to fit smaller babies better. Also, the fleece lining is quite thin compared to other BTP pockets I have.

Value for Money - an inexpensive pocket that comes with 2 microfibre inserts identical to those in my Bumgenius nappies, so good value.

Overall - This is a decent little pocket nappy, not a true BTP as it would definately be much too big for a smaller newborn, especially with leg gape, but I can see this lasting until potty training as it has a decent high rise and a good pocket for boosting. Its not the fanciest nappy and definately not one to show off, but so far its showing itself to be pretty reliable.

It will be interesting to see how this nappy lasts in the long term, as it could work out as a really cheap way to bulk out a decent pocket nappy stash :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue May 10, 2011 11:04 am

Style: 8/10
Design: 8/10

I was also asked to review this nappy for Baba+Boo. I have a 20 month old daughter who is an extremely heavy wetter. Our stash is made of standard night nappies and pockets for daytime use & superwetter wool nappies for night time.

Style - I received a lovely cow print minky nappy. Dd was very impressed with it and asked to put it on straight away.

Absorbancy - I must say I was very impressed with the absorbancy of this nappy. I put it on dd with no pre-wash. Because she is such a heavy wetter I used both inserts (I must admit here that, unlike previous posters, I received 2 full size inserts). After 3 hours both inserts were incredibly soaked through (as expected) but unlike every other pocket I have used before, the nappy managed to contain all the moisture and did not leak at all. The instructions mention that using both inserts the nappy could last up to 6 hours. I definately think this could be possibly with a normal wetting baby & 2 full size inserts.

Ease of Use: Once you figure out the poppers the first time, it's a very user-friendly nappy.

Drying Time: Great! As already mentioned by previous reviews it dries overnight on the airer.

Design: We don't normally get on with snaps as my daughter has a tiny waist & needs a lot of room at the back for boosting so we tend to get alot of leg gape. This nappy is very adjustable so we got absolutely no leg gape. I love the tight elastic pocket on the back which holds the inserts in very well. I have also used this nappy with a petit dessous bamboo insert and 2 easy peasy hemp boosters. This combination is quite heavy and nappies tend to be dragged down a bit by it which can cause leg gape. This nappy held in the inserts well & there was minimal leg gape.

I was hoping to try this nappy out on my newborn nephew but he is still under 8lbs and I don't think it will fit him for a good while yet. This nappy is combarable in size to other birth to potty nappies though.

Value for Money - Great value for money. Possibly too cheap.

Overall - I love this nappy. It offers everything that the more expensive, well known BTP pockets nappies have but at an extremely affordable price.

My avatar
fluffpuffin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby fluffpuffin » Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 pm

I have now been able to trial both versions of baba+boo pocket nappies. I had trouble with the first version. I could never get a very good fit on my little girl, who has fairly slim thighs. Leg gape meant we got leaks within a hour. I always lamented that they didn't work for us as the prints were supercute and the quality was also very good.

When I mentioned my problems to Eve, the owner of baba+boo nappies she offered me a free nappy to trial as she mentioned they had been improved. I was very excited to see if these would work better on my little girl than the previous version. My daughter is now 11 months old.

Style: 10/10 - I got a plain red one in a non-minky fabric - it's a lovely bright colour. But I like the fact that these will be available in cut patterns as well.

Absorbancy: 8/10 - the inserts are good quality and I like that they can be snapped down to add extra absorbancy at the front / back. this made a great difference to how long the nappy lasted on my little girl. I received 2 full-size inserts. However, as they are microfibre and quite thin they only lasted me around 2 1/2 hours. For heavy wetters like my LO I added a bamboo booster and this worked really well though - I could easily get 4 hours out of it then.

Reliability: 10/10 - even when the inserts were fully soaked there was no moisture wicking / leaking at the legs

Ease of use: 9/10 - similar to other one-size nappies with a snap-down front to adjust the rise. doesn't really take long to get the hang of using the poppers.

Drying time: 10/0 - super quick on my airer overnight

Design: 10/10 The outer feels lovely and soft and is not prone to wicking which I was very pleased about. The actual design reminded me of fuzzibunz. I really like the extra poppers - they mean that it was way more adjustable around the legs and waist. we had no leg-gape, even with extra boosting and my LO was very comfortable in this nappy.

Value for money: 10/10 - great price and just as good as some of the more well-known brands.

I really like the improved version of this nappy and will be excited to buy some cute prints.

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Sun May 15, 2011 11:40 am

We trialed a Baba and Boo Series II nappy recently. Overall, our conclusion is that these are excellent value for money good workhorse nappies. We would be happy to recommend them.

Style: 7/10

Our nappy has a blue and yellow circle pattern and, although its probably not the design I would have picked myself, it looks really cute on. I think the prints and patterns available are a great selling point. I have given a 7 rating because I would not say that these are luxury prints. In their workhorse category, I would say these are 9/10 on style.

Design: 9/10

I mostly love the fit on this nappy. The cut is simple but really effective. My boy has a high rise and this OS nappy was easily able to adapt to suit his shape. No gapes or tight bits just a well designed nappy. The only bit I am not so keen on is the square edge of the front fastening as this flaps up a little - but that is hardly troublesome. I really love the pocket opening - its easy to use and fits well.

Absorbency: 10/10

Absorbency is brilliant. We have two full size inserts and they are easily able to handle my normal wetter's wees. No wicking whatsoever.

Dries quickly and efficiently. No need for the tumble drier here.

Ease of Use: 10/10

We exclusively use Pocket nappies and this is probably the easiest of them all to use. Easy to stuff the pocket. Easy to put on. Easy to wash and dry.

Value for money: 9/10

Exceptionally reasonable for a brilliant stylish workhorse nappy.

My avatar
emica30
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby emica30 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:48 am

Baba+Boo Series II cloth nappy

Material: 2 x Micro fibre inserts, waterproof PUL outer
Fastener: Poppers
Type: Pocket
Price: £8.75

Reviewed by Emma on 15 May 2011

Style: 9 stars
Absorbency: 9 stars
Ease of Use: 10 stars
Drying Time: 10 stars
Design: 9 stars
Value for money: 10 stars
Overall score: 9.5 stars :thumbsup:
Overall impression: Great value for money and stylish too! :thumbsup:

We took one of Baba&Boo’s newly designed series II nappies for a thorough test drive, courtesy of the lovely Eve who runs Baba&Boo. It was the rather luscious cerise pink colour, just one of a fantastic new range of prints and colours. I hadn’t heard of Baba&Boo before I agreed to be a tester, but now I will definitely be visiting the website to buy some more nappies. :coffee:

Our nappy arrived, well packaged in an attractive and functional recyclable cardboard wrapper. We loved the design and style of the nappy, and though I wasn’t convinced about the square tabs at the front at first, they didn’t seem to flap as I had thought they might once the nappy was on, largely because they poppered flat. The poppers were easy to do up, even with a very wriggly baby, and the extra front poppers ensured that the nappy was a great fit. I don’t always find that poppered nappies sit right across the front, but this one sits beautifully. The pocket itself is easy to stuff, and the nappy is not as bulky as other more expensive brands of pocket, even with both inserts. :widesmile:

My daughter is now 11 months old, and a medium to heavy wetter, and the nappy fitted her perfectly without any gaping or wicking. She wore it for up to 4hrs in the day with no leaks, and though the micro fibre inserts were both sodden, the PUL outer remained dry, which I have not always found to be the case with other pocket nappies. I liked that the micro fibre inserts were adjustable in length, and that you could use just one if you wanted a slimmer fit, or both for times when you need a bit more absorbency. We haven’t tried the nappy overnight, but I suspect that it is more of a day nappy. :D

The nappy outer dried in no time at all – in fact it was more or less dry already straight out of the spin cycle; the great benefit of the micro fibre inserts is that they also dry in next to no time. I hung mine out on the clothes horse overnight together with quite of lot of others, and it was one of the first nappies in the load to be dry. It seemed to need very little pre-washing to get up to maximum absorbency, so is excellent on that front as well. :yahoo:

All in all this is a fantastic nappy for everyday use. It clearly outstrips its competitors as far as price is concerned, and delivers great value for money in a very stylish package! Highly recommended! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My avatar
Yvette75
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Yvette75 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Style: 9/10
Design: 9/10

I was also asked to review this nappy for Baba+Boo. I have a 9 month old daughter who is an average wetter and a son who is 2 years and 10 months old, refuses to potty train, holds his bladder for an hour or 2 then let's flood!

Style - I received a lovely zebra print minky nappy. Christopher loved it!

Absorbancy - I was very impressed with the absorbancy of this nappy. I was sceptical that the 2 microfibre inserts could cope, but they did on both Emily and Christopher for 3 hours.

Ease of Use: There are lots of poppers to choose from to ensure a good fit and once I worked out what I was doing it was easy to put on both my toddler and baby, who are both quite slim builds. Emily is 9 months and 16lb and Christopher is 2 years and 10 months and 26lb.

Drying Time: Fantastic! The quickest drying nappy I have!

Design: A well designed nappy that fits both my skinny waisted children who both have chunky legs!

Value for Money - Exceptional value for money

Overall - A great nappy.

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Baba & Boo Series 2

Postby teganplus2 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Manufacturer: Baba & Boo
Nappy Name: Series 2 & Ltd Edition
Type of Nappy: Pocket
Fastener: Popper
Material: Mixture of Minky & PUL
Size: BTP

Reliability: 10/10
Absorbency: 9/10
Cuteness: 10/10
Drying Speed: 10/10
Slimness: mark 8/10 (not always a bad thing cos I love the big bum cloth look :giggle: )

Overall Comment:
Fabulous!!!

Detailed Comments:

Pros:
I purchased a starter pack from Baba & Boo, and as a complete novice to cloth had a fair few questions for the lovely Eve before I hit the "purchase" button, all of which she answered very quickly, out of "normal office hours" and was generally lovely and super helpful for a complete newcomer to the world of cloth!
My starter pack was delivered very quickly, I had missed that day's courier but Eve emailed to let me know and to tell me it would be there by Wednesday (I placed my order on Monday afternoon) it cost £80 for 9 series 2 nappies, 1 ltd edition print nappy, a wetbag & a nappy bin, very reasonable for such beautiful nappies I think you will agree!!
I threw the nappies straight in the washer as soon as I unpacked them and realised to my dismay that I had thrown a red one in with my beautiful white ones!! :doh: Surely they would be ruined?? Nope, they came out as beautifully as they went in and to be honest the nappies were already pretty much dry when I took them out of the machine, this isn't the case with other brands I have washed since so I have decided that Baba & Boo have some sort of magical drying properties!!! :giggle:
I have a chunky but tiny 20 month old little girl who is extremely active :babyroll: and 15 week old boy/girl twins (one of whom is long and thin and the other long and chunky) so being a newcomer wasn't convinced that the same nappy would fit all three of them as well but it did, my tiny's on the smallest snaps and my tiny big girl on the next one on, so will fit for a long time yet.
Now this is where I admit to being a bad mummy as after two & a half - three hours in their new nappies my tiny babies fell asleep and I left them, my little girl did a poo pretty much as soon as she nodded off so when she woke up 2 hours later I was more than a little worried she may have leaked very runny baby poo everywhere but no it was all contained.
My tiny big girl is a big wetter and lasted a full 2 & a half hours with one insert, with no leaking or uncomfortableness (she would be trying to remove a sposie all by herself well before this time so I'm guessing they have her seal of approval) she can go 3 & a half hours + with two inserts still with no leaking or uncomfortableness just a heavy bum!

I have had many comments on the gorgeousness of my babies cloth bums in their baba & boo beauties and all in all I am extremely happy with them, I would recommend them over any other's I have tried since (to include: smartipants, flips, babyland, tots bots, dudeybaba to name but a few) they fit all three of my tiny's equally well (which the others don't) and which is an important factor to me in saving some money, if one size fits all I can, in my twisted logic, justify spending more, they seem to somehow contain the smell better than any others too! :thumbsup:

Cons:
If I'm being super critical and honest which I suppose I should be to make a fair reveiw the ONLY con I found with them was that the ltd edition print nappy only had two poppers along the front (the bit where you adjust the rise) rather than what seems to be the standard three and this did make it sit a little different and not quite as snug.

All in all Baba & Boo are beautiful, inexpensive, do the job they need to do exceptionally well, were SUPER easy for a complete cloth novice, wash well, come with fantastic customer service (in honestly the best I have ever received from any company, not just nappy related) and I shall DEFINATELY be returning to bulk up my stash a little more in the not to distant future (what??!! I have three tiny bum's to cover I need all the fluff I can get :oops: ) and because of that I would highly recommend them to all!!

I hope you have found my reveiw helpful

Toni
xxx
Last edited by clothmama on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged into the main Baba and Boo series 2 thread :O)

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:20 am

I was also lucky to be picked to be a tester for this nappy. I was a little concerned that a one-size nappy may not fit my 30 month old due to his height and weight but I was very impressed! I was not able to use one-size nappies because they were too small for my son but the Baba & Boo series II was fab because it comes up large and fitted my tall boy well on the rise, it fitted his chunky waist & fit beautifully snug around his generously proportioned thighs (much like his mummys :oops: :wink: ) without leaving red marks on his skin.

I would happily recommend this nappy, the fit is fab, the price if brill and they fit taller toddlers :wine:

Style: 9/10
Absorbancy: n/a (used my own bamboo inserts)
Ease of use: 10/10
Drying Time: 1010
Design: 7/10

This review is based on using the nappy on a large toddler weighing around 35lbs (or more!)

Style: I found the rise very good (nearly all BTP nappies are too short for DS) and fitted my son well. I was also able to do it up on the waist which I can't do with other BTP's so it is definately a generously cut nappy. It fitted lovely around his generously proportioned thighs (much like his mummys :oops: :wink: ) without leaving red marks on his skin.

Absorbancy: I didn't use the microfibe inserts the nappy came with because they cannot hold my sons wee! We used our own bamboo inserts which fitted lovely into the nappy and lasted as long as they normally would without any leaks.

Ease of Use: Very easy, I did not need to popper the nappy to make it smaller for use on my toddler.

Drying Time: Very fast, dries overnight on the back of the kitchen chair!

Design: The giraffe print minkee I had was lovely and looks good on. I did find the minkee and the fleece inner thinner than most of my other pockets but this is perhaps reflected in the price of the nappy

Value for Money: Superb value for money! They are really affordable and still look and feel nice.

Overall: Really happy. It has been well worn in the last 3 months and has held up well! I would genuinely reccommend these nappies to someone, especially someone starting out in cloth because you get a really lovely product for a bargainous price :D

Next

Return to Pockets and AIO or AI2 Reviews