hf1

Microfibre

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Microfibre

Postby beck » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:59 am

Just won some Microfibre off ebay and now I'm going to make some inserts out of it - should get about 9 so very excited! - just wanted to know do you have to edge (will it fray) and how many layers make a good insert??

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:42 am

I edged the inserts I made as I think it would fray, just trying to think it does fray on the cut pieces and make little 'snow fluff' pieces. But I don't think it unravels so to speak.

I have generally used 3 layers as that is what the inserts for bumgenius use, but I did a couple of 2 layers as extra pads to go with other stuffing. Depends on what you are using it for - for me any more than 3 layers of anything (well mf or bamboo) takes far too long to dry so I would prefer to open to dry before folding to use.

Hope my waffle makes sense!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:06 am

Beck, I have diy mf inserts too, however I bought the cleaning cloths that cost hardly anything and I was folding them in 3 but now have sewn them as got bored of folding all the time!! :? :roll: :wink: I have 1 that is bigger than the others and I haven't sewn it so that I can use it in 3 to be wide to suit my Happy Heineys or 4 to stuff night nappies or when I need a bit of extra!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:23 pm

raw edges of mf shed bits! so would be best to overlock if youcan to prevent this!

most 'bougt' mf inserts are 3 layers!

hth

jan x

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

microfibe inserts/wipes?

Postby 4timeslucky » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:47 pm

Hi

Have a few microfibre cloths that I have used occasionally as wipes but would it be better to use them as inserts?

I remember seeing somewhere on here that microfibre is so good at absorbing moisture it takes it from their skin as well so should always be lined in a nappy - so maybe not a good idea to use as wipes? They are always far wetter in my wipes box that any other type - I have a great mixture!

I also managed to get a large piece in a 99p shop! :D

Kath

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:16 am

I've got some wipes that are mf (well fluffle material) and they work really well but if you've got big bits then they'd be great as inserts. Yes mf is a great insert as it absorbs quickly (I always use on top of hemp) and is absorbent too!!

Return to DIY and share your projects!