hf1

6week old girly! Should i buy her a night nappy?

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

6week old girly! Should i buy her a night nappy?

Postby sineadrankin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Hiya, new to cloth (my dd is 6weeks tomorrow)

Love being a cloth mummy, but am confused as to whether the nappies I am using at night are good enough.

I use ll's size ones, bamboo, cotton mainly and the microfibre ones in the day or sandy's smalls with a nature babies wrap. I don't have any leaks with these, nor is my dd's skin sore or wet, but the nappy is sodden and she sleeps 7hours regularly now.

Is it normal for nappies to be this wet and babies skin be ok? Should I buy a night nappy?

She is 10lb 11oz too, so that might help with any recommendations.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: 6week old girly! Should i buy her a night nappy?

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:26 pm

Sounds like your nappy is fine at the moment. As long as babies bottom is dry & no leaks, it's working.
However having been there myself with Eleanor, it probably won't be long before she out widdles them especially once she hits a growth spurt. I managed completely with boosted day nappies with James, but dedicated night nappies are a definite must with Eleanor!
I love holdens landing bed bug plus size medium will probably fit your lo now and should do for quite while.
I have one lucious little something which is deceptively absorbant but a trimmer fit than the HL.
Hope that helps.
Have a look in the classifieds or post a wanted post to try before you get more!

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Thank you, that makes perfect sense :)

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:03 pm

WN NN mediums should fit your LO by the time they are made and get to you.
A nappy will be pretty wet after 7 hours and as long as she isn't sore or leeking there's no worries really but as above I don't doubt it will be long before she leeks if they ate that wet at this weight as her appetite it gonna get bigger. Think I look as investing. Or if money is an issue you could get a couple of booster and hold out for larges if you can. My DS lasted in day nappies with a TB and a microfibre booster till he was 18 lbs which was the smallest I could get a large night nappy to work on.

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi

My 14 week old goes for 12 hours in a size 2 Tots Bots Stretchy, with one extra booster and a fleece wrap--can be totally sodden but he's fine in it. I don't think he needs night nappies yet...will just continue to do boosted bamboo nappies until they don't work! We also do a bamboo loveable (size 2) stuffed with a hemp and 2 bamboo boosters, and flexitots with 2 bamboo boosters. All work great and are cheap!

PS...he doesn't sleep for 12 hours straight..I just don't change him unless the nappy is soiled...avoids middle of the night crying....

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Sounds like you will be fine for another few weeks. Even night nappies can be pretty sodden in the mornings. Could you throw in another bamboo booster in the meantime? Another thing to consider is using wool soakers at night. Wool is breathable so it allows some of the moisture to evaporate so the nappies aren't sodden in the morning.

Return to Night Nappies