How much food do you throw away.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: How much food do you throw away.

Postby tracedw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Rox wrote:
tracedw wrote:The pizza was 5 days out of date so not really much i could do about that otherwise it would have been eaten and i always use potatoes that have started to sprout as long as the sprouts aren't big iysyim or if the spud has gone soft.

Me too, but they were *really* sprouting, left over from before Christmas LOL.

Plant them in the garden :wink: i throw mine on the compost heap and we always get a small crop from them in the summer

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 pm

very little everything gets eaten here :giggle:
if anything does gets thrown it's leftover veg, shopping day was today all the veg that was still ok from last week got turned into soup.
opened packets of sandwhich meat sometimes get thrown but all that normally gets eaten up too or used with a pasta sauce and taglitele.

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Just got back from shopping, im trying to be really good and meal plan this year as i was finding the money we spent on food was getting stupid. This week i spent 69 pounds for the whole week which was not as good as last weeks 30pounds but we have friends coming over tomorrow for dinner so i brought things i wouldnt noramlly buy.

This week i havd chucked out a small bowl of jelly, i couldnt remember how long it had been in the fridge :oops: and half an orange which was cut up for the snails but had dried up.

loveing the idea of using old veg for soups :thumbsup:

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Over winter i've switched to buying as much frozen veg as i can - its lasting much longer and no more expensive than fresh whilst its out of season.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Nowhere near as much as we used to now that I meal plan and I'm much better at freezing things that are about to go if we skip a planned meal.

Sausages are a usual culprit, maybe one or two that didn't get eaten and were forgotten about. A little salad perhaps, half used. Sometimes a bit of veg if its too far gone and spuds that are a sprout too far LOL!!

Always end up with dregs at the bottom of lemonade bottles and a few slices of bread (crusts mainly) - keep thinking I should make breadcrumbs and freeze them, would that work? And as a PP said, some left over coleslaw or tsatziki in tubs. Little yoghurts can be a culprit here too, just the odd one or two.

Considering that a few years ago I would have been throwing away unopened packs of chicken breasts or pork loins just because I wasn't organised enough to freeze things we have come a long way. I also think its necessity though, we don't have as much spare cash and I despise the cost or groceries now so have much more of an incentive to be more careful.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:22 pm

You can freeze breadcrumbs it's what I'm going to do today for making tuna fishcakes later in the week :-)

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Rox wrote:Over winter i've switched to buying as much frozen veg as i can - its lasting much longer and no more expensive than fresh whilst its out of season.

i started to buy more frozen veg as it can sometimes be better quality than fresh as it has been picked and frozen rather than sat around for god knows how long. I still buy some fresh but when the allottment is churning out veg i do the same thing, pick and freeze most of it stright aways. :D

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:32 pm

princessliana wrote:You can freeze breadcrumbs it's what I'm going to do today for making tuna fishcakes later in the week :-)

OH ,nice idea, i always make too much mash potato and sometimes it never gets re eaten, plus there is always a spring onion or two lurking in the back of the fridge.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Very little. Sometimes fromage frais (but that's rare), some sliced ham (but just the last couple of slices), maybe the remains of a meal, if DH hasn't polished it off.

Most of our food goes in the freezer, so we use it as we need it. It's always been mostly dairy or things we use daily (sandwich fillings etc) in the fridge and as we don't have that much dairy in these days, there's not so much in the fridge, so less to go off.

PreviousNext

Return to Money Matters