hf1

Medised etc...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Medised etc...

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Just because there's been a few people mention it recently I thought I'd share this link...

Not wanting to start a discussion on its use just sharing information... :cnthug:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformatio ... /CON038908
Over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicines for children have been under review in the UK.

The Commission on Human Medicines (CHM) has advised on a package of measures to improve safe use of cough and cold medicines for children under 12.

The new advice is that parents and carers should no longer use over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicines in children under 6. There is no evidence that they work and can cause side effects, such as allergic reactions, effects on sleep or hallucinations.

For 6 to 12 year olds these medicines will continue to be available but will only be sold in pharmacies, with clearer advice on the packaging and from the pharmacist. This is because the risks of side effects is reduced in older children because they weigh more, get fewer colds and can say if the medicine is doing any good. More research is being done by industry on how well these medicines work in children aged 6-12 years.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Medised etc...

Postby fluffycabbage » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:55 am

my gp has said exactly the same. ive never used them, apart from medised when ds was really poorly once and just needed to sleep bless him :-?
Velvetsteph wrote:
Not wanting to start a discussion on its use just sharing information... :cnthug:

oops :giggle:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:42 am

just wanted to share TMI but izzy gor horrendous diorrhea (i can never spell that word!) from cough syrup :evil: so not used it since. Calpol os more effective IMO

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:06 am

I gave Tallin Medised twice, a few years ago, he freaked out completely. I'm pretty sure he was having hallucinations. It went in the bin after that and we've not had it in the house since.

Cough medicines don't actually do much anyway. They're a big con. You're better off giving honey and lemon and sitting in a steamed room.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Medised etc.

Postby fivefourfour » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 am

I know this is from a while ago, but I wanted to add that general wisdome amongst medical peeps now is that sugar free suspensions are the main villains for diarreah etc, so I only use the 'normal' stuff.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:03 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:I know this is from a while ago, but I wanted to add that general wisdome amongst medical peeps now is that sugar free suspensions are the main villains for diarreah etc, so I only use the 'normal' stuff.

That's very interesting... Grace definately reacts to certain sweetners...
Trouble is though if you're having to regularly medicate a child (e.g. medical condition) then regular doses of sugar also aren't good and you put them at risk of diabetes...
So you can't win! :lol:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I think that she is poorly so rarely that I just let the sugar thing slide. And this is one occassion where I don't mind saying "I had it when I was young and it never did me any harm..."!!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:24 pm

That probably explains why, when the doc prescribed a cough medicine for Molly a few months ago, no pharmacy would give it out to me. They said it was no longer suitable for young children and the doc was a locum who obviously wasn't up to date on current medical advice :roll:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:01 pm

I give honey and orange to dan. he loved it!

Next

Return to Baby, childrens and family health